Boat Insurance...Keep paperwork on boat?

gerds

Cadet
So my wife and I have a difference of opinion on where to keep our boat insurance paperwork.
I think it should be on the boat or at least in the truck. Not so much in case of an accident, but some lakes require proof of insurance to register or rent a slip, etc.
My wife says the little Progressive card with our policy number and the 1800 phone number on it is good enough. She says the paperwork with all the coverages is not needed and, even more so, should be kept at home in a safe place.
What do you guys do?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Boat Insurance...Keep paperwork on boat?

Make a COPY and keep it on the boat, in plastic.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I carry the card in my wallet. My coverage and deductible are noted on the card.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

As we use Boat/US, we have a key tag and copied the insurance stuff and keep a copy in the boat along with the state registration in a plastic zipper bag.

204 Escape

Ensign

We keep a copy of the insurance, along with the registration in plastic on board. That way we don't have to wonder if we have it available.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own a Lund utility boat so there's not much to it. However, I have made an emergency pack for it that I always carry with me. It's the first thing I load when I'm getting the boat ready. It consists of a shoe box sized rubbermaid container. Here's the contents:

- Registration for boat, trailer, and inurance card
- First aid kit
- 3 flares
- Spark plugs and ratchet/socket
- Tide tables
- WA Safe boating book
- Fishing regulations

cbavier

Lieutenant

I hadn't really thought of it too much since Michigan does not require Insurance on a Boat. But now that my brain has been jogged by this thread and I think it's a good idea. I'll make a copy and put in with my Registration and Safety Certificate in the Glove Box. Thanks gerds

gerds

Cadet

Yeah, weve usualy kept everything together too in a big ziploc. Take it with us on and of the boat whenever we get on or off. As a side note, if anyone has Progressive Insurance it appears theyve added some new discounts. One of them is an "original owner discount". This wasnt applied automaticaly, we had to call em. Check out your policies. :)

Splat

Lieutenant

I laminate a COPY of my DEC page and place it in the bottom of my plano tackle box with my laminated state registration.

As my boat is only used for fishing, its a good system for me.

Bill

Bowser4x4

Seaman

I laminate a copy of the declarations page {you do not want to have the coverage amounts showing} on one side and the registrations for both the boat and trailer on the other. Then two small pieces of adhesive velcro on the laminate and on the boat. Keeps it secure, waterproof, and ready to go.

Woof
Bowser

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put all paperwork in a large vitamin bottle and zip tie it under the dash. I always have it on the boat!