Boat identification 1975 or 1976 cobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT78

Cadet
Hello to all new to the thread but have read so many good post and thread on this forum for technical info.

So a few questions trying to identify my boat . It is a cobia open bow title states 19ft. Model # c18vbr i/o on tag port side by w/s. Title and HIN match had 120 mercruiser. If anyone could help if they actually had a name for this boat or i/o engines that were put in this boat trying to finalize engine decision for re power. Tag states engine and fuel not to exceed 995lbs.

Thanks in advance
Justin

shrew

Lieutenant
Look at the Hull Identification Number (HIN). It should be on the starboard side of the transom. Pre-1984 HIN breakdown:
ABC12345C393
ABC
= Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC)
12345 = Serial Number
C3 = Date of Certification or Manufacture
93 = Model Year (last two digits)
NOTE: The date of manufacture code the letter is the month and the number corresponds to the last number of the year of manufacture and will correspond to the Model Year. So "C3" would be March 1993
A = January
B = February
C = March
D = April
etc

What is your HIN??

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard. HIN number should be stamped into the stern of the boat just below the rub rail.

I'm assuming c18vbr is actually the model, and that it's a V-Hull Bow Rider (vbr). The c18 could mean that the LOA is closer to 18 than 19. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stern drive would likely be Mercruiser 120, OMC 120 or a Volvo 120. If it's OMC, you've got some gut checks to make because a repower is a world of work. But Merc wouldn't be too bad if the hull is worth it.

Got any photos?

JT78

Cadet
Yes was mercruiser 120 have to get more pictures, definitely v hull it’s confusing the numbers read c18vbr but title states 19ft. I’ve seen actual names by cobia online thought the model# would coincide with one but no luck, guess worse things lol. I’ve already stripped down to the hull replaced every stringer and bulk head rebuilt transom and deck every piece of wood presealed with poly resin and chop strand before tabbing ect got over my head been working on it for 5 years too much work to abandon lol. Tag said engine drive fuel not to exceed 995 lbs. I’m a Chevy man by curse wanted small block or 4.3 but the weights mercruiser rates them at were borderline IMO. So I decided to go crazy for my repower already had done keyhole and installed alpha one gen 1 so I landed an 86’ 3.7l 190 in a junk boat have it torn down waiting on my gasket kit. But put my motor mount in original position when glassed everything so I may have to redo or fab a stainless or aluminum extension for the length difference. Thanks for the replies

Ramirez625

Recruit
The hull identification number (HIN) on all boats built after November 1, 1972 is permanently affixed to the rear of the transom usually on the upper right corner. It is required by federal law and must appear on the registration application.

The HIN consists of 12 letters and numerals at least one-quarter inch tall that indicate the manufacturer, hull serial numbers and/or letters, and model year and/or month.

rosiemwhit

Recruit
Look at the Hull Identification Number (HIN). It should be on the starboard side of the transom. Pre-1984 HIN breakdown:
ABC12345C393
ABC
= Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC)
12345 = Serial Number
C3 = Date of Certification or Manufacture
93 = Model Year (last two digits)
NOTE: The date of manufacture code the letter is the month and the number corresponds to the last number of the year of manufacture and will correspond to the Model Year. So "C3" would be March 1993
A = January
B = February
C = March
D = April
etc

What is your HIN??
Hello thank you so much for your information about the Cobia boats here! I have a boat that I am trying to sell, and I am trying to figure out what model the boat is or if there is any other information I can give about it. The boat is a 12' long aluminum fishing boat, and the serial number on the back is OMC S5862 H384. I'm a little confused about the last 4 numbers because they were hard to see, and the last two were a bit covered up with paint. But any insight you have would be helpful, I can't find anything online yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.