Boat Gremlins almost got me!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Friday I went to Allied supply where I buy my pieces parts for my job. Stan behind the counter told me that his SIL and him went by my boat on thursday evening. He asked me if my swimdeck was surpose to be at water level. I told him NO that it was surpose to be about 5 to 6 inches above.<br /><br />Now that I'm wondering what is up. So I hurried down to the boat after work to see what was going on. I get everything loaded into the truck for the evening stay on the boat.<br /><br />First thing I do is check the bilge. Yep, the bilge pump failed to kick on. At least the water was not up into anything to damage. So I thought all I got to do was switch to battery 2. Well apparently the switch had been on both. Both batteries were drained. No problem, I switched them out with freshley charged bats that I use for my invertor power for the 110volt power.<br /><br />While switching out the bats I found a lead that seemed to be under a load. I went ahead and hooked them up. I then went throughout the boat trying to find what was left on. No nights, fans, and nothing I could find. Then I remembered my wife said that the water pump for the sink/shower wasn't working last weekend. To find out she had left the switch on to my water pump. I pulled the wired off the switch to dang near burn my fingers. The wires were super hot! Then I get into the bilge to check my freshwater pump. OMG the dang on motor was hot and smoking. I don't know why the fuse didn't trip, but I'm lucky it didn't set my boat on fire. Removed the motor from the pump and it is toasted big time.<br /><br />Well, I almost went a whole season without problems. But that is how owning a boat goes as most of you know. I just can't figure out why the fuse didn't blow. It was a 10 amp which the pump calls for. <br /><br />I am going to direct wire my autobilge via fuse to the battery. Then when I leave the boat for a period of time I will shut off the battery switch for the rest of the boat.

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Boat Gremlins almost got me!

SS - have you ever looked into installing a combiner or isolator to prevent something like this from ever draining all your batteries again?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ralph, really never needed to before. I usually run one battery or the other but never both. I still don't know how both was turned on. I suspect grandkids, it wouldn't be the first time that they have played boat captain. :D Or should I say boat Gremlin....

Ralph 123

Captain

It's like so many things, you never need it until you need it ;)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

gremlins... I hear ya SS. was checking fluids<br />yesterday and decided it was time to inspect wiring.<br />got my hand on the Pos. battery cable and it pulled<br />right out of the connector at the starter :eek: