boat gas tank material replace issues

perdiemboating

Recruit
i am draining my aluminum gas tank today to replace it. it is leaking in areas i cannot see. i've read some threads were some have said don't use poly tanks. i've seen on iboats .com under ethanol gas and tank problems poly tanks are what you want to use. aluminum tanks to be avoided due to e10 ethanol gas having 10% alcohol in it which promotes attracting water in fuel tanks which causes corrosion. what i need to find out is i'm thinking poly tanks have a size limitation for this material? as i want a 55 gal to replace what i have. if you know please let me know. remember now as poly tanks go many hardware stores, marine stores , etc. are selling poly tanks. i have several around my home. i about a year ago bought two 30 gal. used poly tanks to put in a shamrock boat i want to replaced fiberglass ones that are in it. hope to someday soon to do this project. poly gas tanks make all sense for what they do but how big do these get ?

Re: boat gas tank material replace issues

I've never heard of a problem with aluminum tanks due to E-10. The major issues I've heard about with aluminum tanks are where water is allowed to stay in contact with the exterior and they pit. That's why you want to raise them up just a bit so any water will drain out from under them and allow everything to dry out.

Brewman61

Ensign

Yes, they make poly tanks in the size range you're seeking, in fact they sell them on this website. They are certified for 10% ethanol.
If aluminum tanks are available I would guess they also are able to tolerate 10% ethanol. Regardless, you should be able to find what you're looking for.

perdiemboating

Recruit

sure thanks you guys! i believe all your comments are true. i did find some tanks in gallon size i'm looking for just need to confer these will fit in boat this goes into. my metal tank lasted 18 yrs. i take care of it, and i do add fuel stabilizer in off season, i;m just saying too that this is second time i've had corrosion problems with aluminum metal tanks . i agree outside water in bilge can influence corrosion so yes raise bow up when on trailer to prevent standing rainwater or any water from washdown etc . to drain out plug hole to help keep things dry. a wet bilge too i belieive can lead to rot in wood members also lead to mold in fabric of interior so yes keep dry! under iboats library of "ethanol fuels and gas problems. yesterday i drained $200 of fuel in my bayliner using 10' 1/2" copper tubing run out thru transom drain hole into 5 gallon poly jerry cans. my neighbors got a treat! one insisted i take two bottles of wine-yahoo!