Boat dull finish, oxidized, no sparkle

Namron

Cadet
Hey guys, just need to know what steps to take to bring the sparkle back to my 85' Performance Rig. Want that sparkle back! Thanks!

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat dull finish, oxidized, no sparkle

This is a reply that I posted to an earlier question and would apply to you.<br /><br />I have a 1977 Formula (blue) that looks like a 1997! Repair any dinks,etc.and wet sand the hull. Naturally, the finer the paper, the better, but if it really looks oxidized start with a 800grit- if that doesn't cut it go to 600. Finish with a<br />1600 grit paper. If you decide to use rubbing compound to finish the job YOU MUST remove any oily residue before sealing. The most important thing to realize is that you are dealing with a 16year old boat. Your gelcoat issomewhat porous and wax alone will simply chalk up in a short period of time. The key word is SEAL. I recommend an<br /><br /> acrylic polymer that seals the gelcoat. There is absolutely no breakdown because the elements<br /> can't get the gelcoat. Each year just give it an additional coat or two. The stuff is removed with a degreaser such as<br /> Greased Lightning. Another route to go (which I'm trying on the topside of my boat)<br /> is using Penetrol. Go to Home Depot. Both of these methods will "outshine" compound and wax. It's far easier to do,<br /> will last a heck of alot, and will look great.

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice

So wet sand it then use the acrylic polymer? Is that right? No waxing? When you say acrylic polymer, what exactly do you mean. Is there a brand name you use, where can i get it....etc<br /><br />Thanks

salty87

Commander

you'll get a lot of answers to this question, different things work better on different boats. people have their preferences for brands.<br /><br />salty sal (name has a nice ring to it) is taking a pretty aggressive approach. for darker colors that have seen alot of sunlight, that is often necessary.<br /><br />i would start off small and work up to the wet sanding. i'd start with rubbing compound, i like 3m heavy duty...my boat is also dark blue but not too faded. you'll want a variable speed buffer or at least a random orbital. that's another debate entirely. change the pads often, no point in spreading the dirt and haze around.<br /><br />if the compound doesn't work, then wet sanding should take care of it, like sal said. then you'll compound.<br /><br />i don't get too hung up on wax. none of it lasts too long. 303 protectant is supposed to work well and last a month or so. no buffing with that, spray on and wipe off. i've tried it but my boat was faded and there was a hung jury. i'll try it again, i use 303 on my vinyl and it works great.<br />i'll stick with buffing wax or spraying 303 occasionally. i don't like the sound of the sealants, i've read with some of them you have to strip the boat to re-apply or switch back to wax.

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Vertglass is one. NewGlass 2 is another.<br />Believe it or not, I've used Armstrong Shinekeeper and it does almost as good a job for alot less $$$.<br />Even commercial polymer acrylic works.<br />YES thats right.... no WAX! <br />Naturally, my wet sanding method is to be only used with moderate to extreme oxidation, BUT you do it once and forget about doing it again. By using acrylic polymer there is no compounding year after year which is in essence is one step less extreme than wet sanding with a very fine<br />sandpaper. When I repair small scratches that would be more of a hassle to open up and fill with gelcoat paste, I wet sand with impeccable results.<br />You can never match old gelcoat exactly even to the most disciminating eye(I'm agraphic designer and I make my living using color) In any case common sense always rules.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was in the same shape when I bought my boat. I've done the sand-n-buff on several other boats and thought "man thats a lot of work" I sold my self on the Vertglas, "wow wont that be easy",jusy clean it,wipe it on,and wallah, shiney boat......Wrong!!!<br /> Worst money I've ever spent!!!! Think of it this way.. Try to clearcoat your car with a brush,Dont work!! It takes as much,if not more work than the sand and buff, any and all trash will get in it and it looks like crap.<br /> And honestly It just doesnt shine as well , even after 20 coats. I would not recommend it to anyone. Do it right, sand and buff!!! the results will smoke any wipe-on product out there.

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice

Well i would have to say, mine is moderate to heavy. It is a 1977 Skeeter i just bought. Very dull and rough feeling. Color is dark blue and light blue. I compounded some of it by hand, then threw on some wax. It made it smoother to the touch, a very little shine, but not what i had hoped for.<br /><br />Thanks for your inputs.

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never used Vertglass.<br /><br />NewGlass 2 makes my boat shine like a jewel.<br /><br />So did Armstrong Shinekeeper.<br /><br /> I found the application very easy.<br /> 4 to 5 passes with a special applicator.<br /><br />Looks like a synthetic soft leather cloth.<br /><br />YOU DONT USE A BRUSH!<br /><br />Found this method better in the long run because you cut your maintenance.<br /><br />When the acrylic polmer scuffs or breaks down with time- you strip it down with Greased Lightning and reapply new layer of acrylic polymer. It blends right in perfectly.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Whoooaaaaaa guys.Slow down.Namron has not had a chance to tell us what color or condition his boat is in.Lets not jump to conclusions and scare him into a big job if it is not necessary.I have brought back many a gelcoat without any wet sanding or sealers.You have to at least try the conventional methods first to see what ya got.One of my favorite boats I have ever owned was very chalky when i got it.Dark blue is what it was supposed to be.I was very fortunate that the previous owners didnt put much effort into restoring the gelcoat.So when I did it I had plenty to work with.If the previous owners had worked the gelcoat with compounds or wet sanding my chances of restoring it would have been greatly reduced.I kept that boat shining for 8 years and thats what helped me sell it so easily.I did notice that the last few years it was harder and harder to keep the shine going.thats what happens,it gets closer and closer to impossible to get the shine back.But lets get some feedback first before we all come to conclusions.Charlie

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Crazy Charlie- you are right.<br />Common sense dictates all- but if he is posting<br />this question to the forum it is more than likely<br />pretty badly oxidized.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah ya'll are right, depends on the degree of oxidation. mine was .errrr........very chalky, and no i didnt mean paint brush, i was talking about the applicator that came with the kit, a sorta sponge looking brush. light stuff can certinly be compounded off, heavy stuff can be compounded also but takes an agressive approach. To me , none of it is easy but sanding and buffing brings the time factor wayy down on a heavily oxidized boat.

phatmanmike

Captain

i have a 1960 glasspar that looked like it was dipped in liquid chalk, really bad.. this is what i did.. i washed boat thouroly with hull cleaner. then i wet sanded with a sponge, bucket of water, and a 3m sanding block loaded with 600 grit paper. ...<br /><br />what a f&^%ing difference. holy moly ravioli. then to make matters even better, i applied 3m's very polular(and expensive) boat cleaner and wax... <br /><br />wow, looks like a mirror..<br /><br />THEN... i applied starbrite marine wax.... geez, man, if you told me that this thing was 45 years old... i wouldnt believe you.. i purpose did only half the boat so you could see a difference... ill take a pic, i dont know if youll be able to tell though from the pic...<br /><br />this also worked excellent on my grey 1985 bonito, why grey, i will never know. maybe thats why they went out of business... but it made the grey very smoothe and shinny, now the water just beads off it like a new italian sportscar... and i did it all buy hand , with minimal effort, i would love to see what having the GOOD equipment would do...<br /><br />mikey

phatmanmike

Captain

i will let you guess which one is the before and wich one is the after shot.. by the way, that is not the flash you see, but the florida sunn shining down on my beauty...remeber this thing is 45 year old
0.jpg
<br />
1.jpg
<br /><br />i only spent maybe 30 mins and i did half the hull... buy myself.. real easy

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Looks great Mike!!!!!!Too bad when it comes to restoring a finish that the restoration is only half the battle.The other half is keeping it looking that good.Hopefully yours wont turn.I have seen gelcoats that look great on Monday and by Sunday they have begun showing the dullness return.Charlie