Boat drain plug for Monterey 263 - 7/8 inch? Can't find.

Phouglas

Recruit
I'm trying to find an extra plug for my Monterey 263. It's the back main bilge plug I guess. It's a little screw type deal, it looks like this:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/seac...pzz7594.html?gclid=COfBtMLvucoCFdaRHwod1cUJNw

But all I find at 1/2 and most of the other plugs I find at for an inch. And my screw thing looks definitely 7/8".

Any idea where I can find more sizes of this brass plug? I feel like I searched everywhere. Please help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1/2" pipe threads measure 0.84" ( almost 7/8") go to hardware store, but pipe plug, go boating

Phouglas

Recruit
So you're saying go that route and not order one of these brass 1/2" plug?

If not you're saying look for a pipe plug? Not quite understanding your last sentence sorry.

Thank you for the help though!! I want some extras cause I'm scared to death of losing this thing lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a freeking pipe plug. Buy a pipe plug wherever you want. 0.89 at lowes, a bit more at ace hardware, or spend $8 to have it shipped.

Buy a pipe plug, go boating

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
IMHO get a proper garboard plug less chance of corrosion...

order from IBOATS or source locally at ANY boating store or marina... If you choose the hardware store route then fine... even if you want to order a plug, you can still take your old one in and check size at the hardware store

to help you understand, the 1/2" number refers to the inside diameter of the pipe that would screw into the same hole your plug screws into so the diameter of your plug is 1/2" PLUS twice the wall thickness of that pipe.

Phouglas

Recruit
Can you link me to where I would find something suitable on iboats? As I said it looks like the picture I linked and the screw part when I held it up against a screw in the hardware store it matched 7/8. And I didn't get those screws cause they were super long.

So you're saying a 1/2 will work? Again if you can link me I'd super appreciate it

IMHO get a proper garboard plug less chance of corrosion...

order from IBOATS or source locally at ANY boating store or marina... If you choose the hardware store route then fine... even if you want to order a plug, you can still take your old one in and check size at the hardware store

to help you understand, the 1/2" number refers to the inside diameter of the pipe that would screw into the same hole your plug screws into so the diameter of your plug is 1/2" PLUS twice the wall thickness of that pipe.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Pipe thread is a tapered thread. Normal bolts are not tapered. The taper helps the plug lock in place.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Bolts are straight thread. Pipe plugs or brass pipe plugs are tapered (the threads) being taperd they snug up when screwed in. They do not have to be extra tight. Just snug it in with a wrench.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can you link me to where I would find something suitable on iboats? As I said it looks like the picture I linked and the screw part when I held it up against a screw in the hardware store it matched 7/8. And I didn't get those screws cause they were super long.

So you're saying a 1/2 will work? Again if you can link me I'd super appreciate it

The top and bottom items are 1/2" plugs.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
The proper garboard plug for your boat plug is a 1/2" NPT male square head bronze plug. Brass will probably be fine, but it can corrode in salt water.