Boat dock questions, help?

lovlakes

Cadet
We are relatively new owners of lake property and need to replace a rotting stationary dock. All docks on the lake have to come out every year (ice).

We are thinking vinyl sections and aluminum frame. Any advantages to other types? Are their any brands that one person can really put in alone? I have seen Pier Pleasure, but they are pricey. Sales folks, of course, say they any dock is an investment. But is PP really worth it? Any other brands that work well and easy to put in every year? How long does a good dock really last?

Thanks in advance to you experienced folks!

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat dock questions, help?

My parents have one built every 8-10 years or so. Inexpensive to do, and it is done over winter. This way every few years they get to customize it depending on the boats or jet skis etc they have at the time. SOme years it was huge, some years it was smaller.

They were also then able to have benches built right into it, fishing pole holders, ladders and diving boards for swimming.

I think pretty much everyone up and down their lake does the same. Very few kits.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google floating dock, lots of info.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the water is shallow and the land sloped, they make some with wheels that roll in and out of the water. Several people on our lake have homemade ones and I believe a few are from Hewitt. The city dock uses 55 gal plastic drums with a wooden decking on top. They leave them in all year and they will float on top of the ice as it freezes.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Much depends on your particular lake.

Our lake place is on a very shallow sand-bottom. Our dock supports are cinder blocks (after 60 years' use, we're considering going to a different system). A neighbor uses pressure-treated 4x4's with other timber 'feet'. Other neighbors use steel poles on flat feet (repalce every few years). Haven't seen anyone use the 'scew-in' type supports. I haven't seen anyone having one end on wheels because 1) our lake is too shallow -- 30' from shore and you're still only knee-deep and 2) the lake tends to eat anything steel, so no one uses steel supports or boat lifts for more than a couple seasons.

The folks around the lake with the fancy pre-built aluminum docks are usually still under water on Memorial Day with 2' water clearance by Labor Day (yeah, the lake usually drops that much over the summer).

Is there a lake owners' (riparian) association you can get advice from? Find out what most people on the lake use. There's probably a reason they all do.

aluminum docks go to "http://www.dockrite.com/"

We love our docks it's been 7 years and no complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovlakes

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. Our lake is dam controlled, so little water flux. We have bad ice dams in winter, so the docks and lifts must come out.

Most folks use vertical stationary lifts, but not sure about brands or any particular issues...so if anyone has insight on these, more info would be grt.

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have you talked with the neighbors? they may have a good source.