Boat Cover

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need a cover for my 1978 Reinell 20' cuddy for moorage over the summer. I live in Seattle so RAIN is my main concern. Actually cost is my #1 concern. I would like to spend less than $200 as this boat is only worth about $3000 and I don't plan to keep it more than 2 more years.<br /><br />I have been trying to research the boat covers out there, but I get a little confused at breathing vs water resistance. looks like it's a balance or something.<br /><br />here are the vendors I am looking at:<br /><br />www.overtons.com: <br />Centurion $169.99 35% poly<br />Imperial $122.49 ON SALE normally $259 100% poly<br /><br />www.iboats.com:<br />Sharkskin<br />Sundura<br /><br />www.canvas2cover.com:<br />GREYSTONE $169.07 Cotton/Polyester <br />TRAIL BLAZER $187.62 Layered Tyvek® & Olefin <br />SUNDURA $213.06 100% Polyester<br /><br /><br />I think the ONSALE option looks most attractive just based on the sale, but is 100% poly good for rainy seattle or does it just not breath enough?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Matt

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Cover

Do you want a trailerable cover? If so, that is important to ask about.<br /><br />You can get vented support poles.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the difference in strapping it on? I would think that if I can use it for mooring I can strap it down good for trailering pretty easy.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Covers made for trailering won't rip apart and fall to pieces as you go down the freeway. If made for trailering then they usually have a warranty that covers trailering. Thus, if there is a problem they take care of it and you don't have to buy a new cover again.