Boat cover info

scotchguy

Cadet
There seems to be a large discrepenancy in the price of boat covers. I am looking for a fitted cover for my 17' Montauk that will need to deflect some rain off the roof as it is stored next to the house as well as protect the boat from the Texas sun. Money is not the issue as I want to protect the boat, however, it would be ok if I did not have to spend over $300. Thanks

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat cover info

You get what you pay for when buying a boat cover. Check out the prices on this forum at the top of the page.<br />Stalker

Ralph 123

Captain

I purchased the sharkskin fitted cover sold her on iBoats and I am 110% satisfied. It fits perfect and is 100% water and snow proof. I highly recommend them.

lilthundr

Seaman Apprentice

Many covers that you can buy are waterproof or very close to it.<br />However if you want to protect your boat from the sun, you should seriously consider a cover that is able to breathe. Or you may risk heat damage inside your boat.<br />I have always found that SUNBRELLA is still the best product for both breathability and water repellency.<br />Shop around for the best price.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently checked with a local boat cover shop.<br />We discussed different issues but the owner showed me the Sunbrella line and another line made by the same company. He has been in business for many years and always comes back to Sunbrella he said due to the quality and warranty of it. He said he has seen boats he did 10 years ago and the Sunbrella still looks good.<br />He also uses a medium grade thread and top of the line zippers. Most complaints he said are from zippers seperating from the stitching that other shops have done, so he uses better quality stuff. The shop is "Dockside Canvas" in Tavares, FL. <br />Until I talked to him, I didnt know there was that much difference in canvas or boat covers.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with Ralph. Purchased the same cover here at iboats during the fall and it fits great and has kept the boat dry.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

If you are not sure what to get you can try ebay.Many covers custom to whalers for under $100.I just got a Cabellas 17 ft center console trailerable cover new in box for 80$ Charlie

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sunbrella is the way to go since it breaths. The best price I found for a fitted cover for my Trophy 1802 was at http://www.coversearch.com. Take a look there and compare the prices.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, Yep what the rest of the gang says. Sunbrella is the best of the best. I currently use a sharkskin cover on my bowrider.I would highly recommend one. It has held up excellent with all the snow that we have had here in Jersey! If I had a bit more cash at the time I would have brought sunbrella. I used to buy cotton duck covers. I would not recommend them unless price is a factor. They breathe well and are somewhat waterproof, but they get brittle in the sun and eventually rot and tear. Average life of a cotton duck is about 3 years. Go with the sunbrella, It might be a little more money up front, but you'll enjoy long life and max protection.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Scotchguy.<br /><br />If you are looking for best value, iboats can fix you up. You get better product in the more expensive covers. <br /><br />If you want the best cover money (lots of it) can buy, Mills Canvas, who made all of the Boston Whaler OEM canvas for years offers a cover for Montauk 17s that fits like a glove and lasts forever. I have one on my '80 Montauk. It fits around (not over) the bow rail verticals and drains every drop of water.<br /><br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=500/832newcover_1-med.JPG

scotchguy

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for the response. I plan on getting the best money can buy.