Boat Cover for Florida

Jake007

Seaman
I have a 20' Cobalt runabout style boat which gets trailered but generally lives under a boat cover on an asphalt storage lot. I have been using the custom Shark Skin covers for the last two cover replacements. The second cover did not hold up very long. I waterproof sprayed the cover prior to winter since it stopped repelling water, but I think it is time to consider changing the cover out.

What cover material / brand/ model has everyone recently had the best luck with in a wet climate like Florida.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Cover for Florida

Is this the custom fit style made to fit a 20' Cobat 1998? or the general "runabout" boat type with elastic?

If it were me, I'd spend the extra and get the custom fit regardless of material, they are so much more profesional and work better.

Jake007

Seaman

I agree, I am looking at the custom fit covers.
The choices are: Sharkskin Plus = $380, 100% poly, 5yr warr; Sharkskin Supreme SD = $446, 100% poly 600 denier, 7 yr warr; or Sunbrella = $612, 100% acrylic w/ 10yr warranty

Typically I get about half the warranty time before they breakdown here in FL.
Anyone have a recommendation or alternate to look at?

TilliamWe

Banned

Yeah, check out your local canvas shop. I don't know where you are in FL, but there is a shop in the Lakeland area that can make you a perfect custom cover for less than that Sunbrella price you just listed.

Jake007

Seaman

Yeah, check out your local canvas shop. I don't know where you are in FL, but there is a shop in the Lakeland area that can make you a perfect custom cover for less than that Sunbrella price you just listed.

Great idea, I am near Orlando but I think I saw a shop towards Cocoa Beach. I only had one which was the original cover that came with the boat. It only lasted me a few years plus the two from the original owner. Is sunbrella the way to go?

Thalasso

Commander

Great idea, I am near Orlando but I think I saw a shop towards Cocoa Beach. I only had one which was the original cover that came with the boat. It only lasted me a few years plus the two from the original owner. Is sunbrella the way to go?

Yes
As long as you maintain it per the manf. Scrub with Woolite or any non detergent soap and use a fabric gaurd be weather it is 303 fabric protectant or not.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sunbrella is great. Make sure the cover has vents.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I garaged my boat in Florida. that sun and constant mold from the humidity will kill gel coat, fabric, interior, etc. in a short time. Not to mention the damage it did to the paint on my cars, the PVC plumbing on the pool, etc.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Check out http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/. I've purchased both a bimini and exact fit boat cover from them and they are super top notch and the best price you can find. 5 year warranty custom cover for under $300 for your boat. You can't go wrong..

FYI they even have your Sharkskin Supreme for around $370.

cribber

Lieutenant

My covers are locally custom made from Sunbrella material and that was 4 years ago and they still are holding up. I keep my boat parked in the driveway and it gets about 6-8 hours of sun exposure a day.