Boat Cover causing stains on boat

cthoms

Cadet
I have a 17' fibreglass runabout. When covered, I guess the rain causes some kind of run-off from the cover onto the boat itself, and the runoff causes stains on the boat. This is a grey canvas cover. The cover is relatively clean so I'm guessing the stains might be coming from the dye in the cover but I'm not sure, it's not coming from the snaps though. Any idea what's up and what to do about it?

Thanks,
Chris

salty87

Commander
Re: Boat Cover causing stains on boat

is the cover new or old? seams leaking? leaking when water puddles? what material is it made out of?

it may just need to be re-waterproofed. do you support it with a pole or tent it?

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it causing stains on the fiberglass or the vinyl seats? If it's the seats you have mold in the cushions.

cthoms

Cadet

It's a ten yr old canvas cover. I keep it tented. The water runs off the sides onto the fibreglass and leaves stains. As long as the fibreglass is waxed the stains are somewhat easy to get off but by the end of the season, they're difficult.

TilliamWe

Banned

You don't say where you are located, but it's most likely an environmental issue. Very common. You need to clean the marks off and then apply a very good wax. Then use a cleaner wax to remove the stains. Routine maintenance, sorry.

Peter Vegeto

Recruit

My understanding is that acid rain can cause the snaps to oxidize and this oxidation can stain the hull below the snap.

Does anyone know the best way to remove these stains ?

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on really hard stains I use a product called barkeepers friend. It is kind of like comet but better. I don't use it very often as it is kind of abrasive but its a really good cleaner.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Here is an idea...take your cover to a local laundromat that has the huge front loading machines to wash bed comforters and blankets....maybe if it has been cleaned , it won't leech stains onto your boat...

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only way you'll keep from getting those stains is to keep the boat under cover. In the meantime, you can pick up a bottle of "Black Stain Remover" made by a company called Starbrite. You just spray it on, wait thirty seconds, and wipe the stain away. It works pretty well and does not remove wax.