boat cleaning

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
What does everyone use to wash their boats? Exterior- gel coat-is standard car wash soap ok? wax? type? how often?<br />Interior- seats? floors? carpet? anything you would stay away from? Grease lightening? etc.<br /><br />If you keep your boat in a slip for the season(about 5 1/2 months here; fresh water) is there a need to pull it and clean the bottom? Or is it ok just to brush what you can reach with a long handled brush? <br /><br />Any advice is greatly apprcieated.

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat cleaning

can ya give us the condition of your baby to start..and if your thinking about a perticular product say spray nine do a search ...been alot writtin on the cleaning subject..a word from the been there done that..dont use anything on your seats that make them slppery LOL! and if your useing soap and rinsing it to the bilge be carefull what ya pump into the water!!!

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On my vynl fomula 303, works for other stuff to, but its pricey. I haul my boat at least once per season to power wash the hull, tends to come off easier if you do it on a rainy day, and it does,nt have time dry and turn growth to rock.For my bilge I use plain old powder tide, sprinkle it on scrub a bit and let slosh around a bit before draining and rinsing.<br /><br /> Jim

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey cuz i hope you do your bilge on land...i go a stern lecture about what comes out the bilge at the marina...if it dont say bilgecleaner on it dont put it in da water! and even then READ the lable

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

my boat is a 2001 23 ft chaparral bowrider in what I would say is very good condition. I am just looking to keep it that way, I just bought it used this year.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya, I only clean my bilge once per year...before it goes into the water.Thats the reason I do it out of water..., do my oil change in spring then clean the bilge to remove any possible oil I spilled..<br /><br /><br /> Jim

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds nice ...keep it covered and when your done for the day clean it then dont let the sand dirt and spills build up...as for wash and wax..everyone has there own favorite trust me i asked lol i would start with a retail store. the other thing you could do is ask the person in the slip next to ya ...or find the nicest boat in the marina and ask them what they use seeing is believing..good luck and safe fun!

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cuzner...I am no Pro by any means but I am pretty sure you should definitely change your oil in the fall. The used oil can have moisture in it which can create acid and coorode the inside of you engine. Not sure if I explained it correctly but youget the drift.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cuzner, <br />I would like to second that opinion of Sea Ray Steve about changing oil in fall rather then spring. <br />Another thing is - if you fog your engine for winter, run it for about 1 hour in spring and then change spark plugs. Reinstall saved spark plugs next fall, right when you are ready to fog the engine.