Boat Check list

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As boating season kicks into high gear, I though I would share the boat check list I created. I have been updating each year to make things more efficient during chaotic situations.

Hoping this helps or inspires others.

Attachments

• Boat Checklist.pdf
    399.7 KB · Views: 30

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trim up is not on your predeparture list. I swear I check that at least 3 or 4 times.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Trim up is not on your predeparture list. I swear I check that at least 3 or 4 times.
Raise drive unit is definitely on there. Put that one after I drove up with ramp with the leg down. Luckily my trailer is high enough that I have about an inch clearance even fully down.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My check list is pretty straight forward . . .

Beer (check)
Boat (check)

go boating 🤪 (y)
hahaha without a list I'd probably sink the boat forgetting to put the drain plug in.

Years of pilot training have me relying on check lists.

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Raise drive unit is definitely on there. Put that one after I drove up with ramp with the leg down. Luckily my trailer is high enough that I have about an inch clearance even fully down.
Just read it 3 times and it isn't there, but I will agree to disagree.

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, we are talking about different things. Pre-departure is before you even leave the house. No sense in waiting until you drag a skeg down the driveway to add it to the list.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, we are talking about different things. Pre-departure is before you even leave the house. No sense in waiting until you drag a skeg down the driveway to add it to the list.

Yes, that is true.

For better or worse, I keep the drive up during the season. In the offseason, I have a note to raise the drive taped to the jacks.

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah, must be an outboard, as it is terrible to run an I/O on muffs while trailer trimmed, and hard on the bellows to store in that position also.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ah, must be an outboard, as it is terrible to run an I/O on muffs while trailer trimmed, and hard on the bellows to store in that position also.
It is an I/O.

I only put on muffs during winterization & start of the season.

May be hard on bellows but trimmed up is the only way the boat fits in the garage..... barely. They are also inspected regularly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the wife is ok with me attaching a winch. however when I suggest a wench, I get slugged.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It is an I/O.

I only put on muffs during winterization & start of the season.

May be hard on bellows but trimmed up is the only way the boat fits in the garage..... barely. They are also inspected regularly.
Trimmed up and it sticks out further. Trimmed down is the only way mine will fit in the garage.

We inspect periodically anyway, regardless of how its trimmed. O/Ds should ONLY be trimmed up on the highway, or at anchor on the sandbar. That's a best practice kinda thing.

In case you missed it, wench is mis-spelled, unless you are truly talking about an old lady.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Trimmed up and it sticks out further. Trimmed down is the only way mine will fit in the garage.

We inspect periodically anyway, regardless of how its trimmed. O/Ds should ONLY be trimmed up on the highway, or at anchor on the sandbar. That's a best practice kinda thing.

In case you missed it, wench is mis-spelled, unless you are truly talking about an old lady.
Just figured that out. Thanks.

I have steps to my house that I need to clear. I have a couple inches between O/D and concrete full up. Other side of the garage is limited by the water heater closet. Best practice when able.

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The "check engine on muffs" lead me to believe you might trim down to start the engine on muffs. My mistake

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just figured that out. Thanks.

I have steps to my house that I need to clear. I have a couple inches between O/D and concrete full up. Other side of the garage is limited by the water heater closet. Best practice when able.
One house I had was drywalled, so I cut out a small piece so the O/D would slide in between 2 studs. As long as the boat was very slightly angled the door would close because the door handle would not hit the tongue. The garage door opening was also 4" wider than the boat. That's where I learned how to back a trailer.

Another house had wall mounted shelving units on the back of the garage that would hit the boat itself. Just turned her in the driveway and went in tongue first.

Another garage of mine had a slit in the garage door where the tongue stuck out.

Where there's a will there is a way. 20 years on a set of bellows without a failure was well worth it.

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The garage door opening was also 4" wider than the boat. That's where I learned how to back a trailer.
Ha, I have 6" clear, but I have to park the tandem trailer at an angle in the garage. Took less than a minute to back her in, but took 15 minutes to get the dang thing out. If I ever park it in the garage again I'm going to take a pic of the angle of the truck before I unhook. That was a nightmare

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ha, I have 6" clear, but I have to park the tandem trailer at an angle in the garage. Took less than a minute to back her in, but took 15 minutes to get the dang thing out. If I ever park it in the garage again I'm going to take a pic of the angle of the truck before I unhook. That was a nightmare
Definitely a nightmare but worth the savings. My garage is wide enough but not long enough. Got the boat in there sideways. I do as much as I can with the truck then push the rest by hand. Putting the boat up is the hardest part of my day after being tired from sending the day in the sun.