BMW outdrive noisy when turning, sounds Sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raemond

Cadet
I have a 1989 sealine 195 weekender with a BMW engine and outdrive, there is a loud grouling noise when the leg is trimed full up/down and when u lock to the right. I think its the universal joint joining the engine to the outdrive but i'm not sure. I would like some opinions before I go and strip the leg.<br /><br />Does anyone know if driving with the leg up for a long time can do damage as l was told it puts pressure on bearings, is this true. <br /><br />Any ideas greatly apresiated. ;) ;)

rogerwa

Commander
Re: BMW outdrive noisy when turning, sounds Sick.

I don't know anything about BMW drives nor did I know they exist..<br /><br />However, it is very bad to even run the engine (not in gear) on a mercruiser outdrive with the leg up (trailer position). It will destroy the u-joints. Quickly.

raemond

Cadet

Thanks Rogerwa.<br /><br />Now l know not to drive with the leg up. The leg got stuck up and l had to drive for half an hour to get back to the marina. lt must be the u joint thats making all that noise.

Trent

Captain

Dont see many BMW around. Their are only three dealers I believe in the US.
b190-220engpic.jpg

f_inscreenname

Commander

Wow!!! Here I thought I had a rare combo (chrysler motor- Volvo outdrive). All I can say is good luck and thank god for the internet. Just think if this was 20 years ago with no net for info or parts searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.