Bluewater build quality

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking in to a Bluewater Cascade with the Volvo V8, and their website is not very informative. Do they use a lot of wood? For instance, the floor and cross beams? I would like fiberglass floors but it does not detail the build materials.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bluewater build quality

Bluewater boats are made in CA by Kal Kustoms, Inc. who also makes Reinell. They do use wood in the stringers, but each model is different in the amount of wood used. <br /><br />They are a small boat builder, privately owned. They are able to keep their prices low due to low overhead, etc. <br /><br />The website is lacking, I agree. The Reinell site is the same. I ended up e-mailing their Marketing Director, Wes Nave and he was extremely helpful. He responded to every e-mail. Here is what he said in response to my initial inquiry about the amount of wood, etc. on my model:<br /><br />"Ok, Ill try and answer these in order. I am sorry that I havent gotten back to you sooner as we were shooting the 2006 brochure.I know tough job, but somebody's got to do it. We use XL Lifetime panels in the stringers and runners and the in the floor reinbursement. We also use XL Lifetime panels in the side panels and seat bottoms. Since we have been using the XL Lifetime panels we have NEVER had a failure. With of all of our brands under our umbrella, that over 35,000 boats without 1 failure, rot, or delamination. We might need to have the glass vs. wood conversation. I am schooled in both fabrication process's. Anyway.speed is 54 mph with standard drive and 5.0 gxi power. This may vary according to weight, load carrying, water temp, altitude ect. Planning speed is aprox. 3 sec. and 30 mph in im guessing @ under ten sec. Volvo penta did the performance _eval on this boat during the photo shoot and I will get that info very soon and would be more than happy to forward that onto you. There are not any incentives going on now, you may be able to find a 2005, but that is probably unlikely as this was a boat that has exceeded our greatest excpectations. I am the guy driving the boat in the flyer and on the site. I did just 2 days on that boat and I gotta tell ya it looks great and rides like a dream. Yes, the prices are going up due to the price of crude and the fact that it is a new model year for us. What dealer are you dealing with? I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me and I will do my best to help you out. and no we do not sell directly to the public, sorry."<br /> <br />Wesley "Wes" J. Nave<br />Special Projects and Marketing Director<br />Kal Kustom Enterprises<br />3220 Pringle Road SE<br />Salem, Oregon 97302<br />(503)362-3404 Office<br />(503)587-98998 Fax<br />wes@KalKustom.com<br /><br /><br />I called him and he spent over an hour on the phone with me discussing their building process, etc. I too was concerned about the use of wood with all the advances in the use of other material. After the discussion I was more than satisfied with the quality and purchased one. <br /><br />If the dealer isn't answering your questions, etc., send an e-mail to him.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Watered down!<br /><br />Thanks for your reply! I am considering the Cascade model with the 5.0. It is 20.3ft in lenght and I was wondering if that 5.0 in your Reinell is enough power? I am worried that the 5.0 will not be enough for watersports. I could be wrong though.<br /><br />Thansk!

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I love my 1991 bluewater.<br />I had it for 5 years before selling it.<br />Other than the carb going bad it was a great boat.<br />I think the build quality is up to par with my glastron and starcraft if that helps.

BillP

Captain

You can google Greenwoods Products to see info on the XL panels. It's pressure treated plywood and very proven to work A1 in glass boat construction.<br />XL costs way more than exterior ply and isn't the cheapest route.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Todd Brown:<br /> Hey Watered down!<br /><br />Thanks for your reply! I am considering the Cascade model with the 5.0. It is 20.3ft in lenght and I was wondering if that 5.0 in your Reinell is enough power? I am worried that the 5.0 will not be enough for watersports. I could be wrong though.<br /><br />Thansk!
The 5.0L fuel inj. has more than enough power for my Reinell. Mine is 21'7" and weighs in around 3400lbs dry. We have been skiing and wakeboarding behind it and have no complaints whatsoever. It jumps up on plane real quick. <br /><br />Not sure but I believe the Cascade is a little lighter. I just can't see you having any problems with the 5.0L.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yours in fuel injected which give you more power. THe one I was looking at is carbed. I may need to look into spending a little more and getting FI.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not necessarily. While I love the benefits of FI, the extra hp you get with it will show up on WOT speeds, not so much with hole shot, etc. It's the torgue that gets you up and out. <br /><br />If you can swing it, I would go with the FI though. Turn key no hassle starting, better fuel economy and that added hp are really nice. <br /><br />However, if you can't swing it, the carbed V-8 still has the torgue you need for water sports. I have a couple of friends who have carbed V-8s and they have no complaints with it other than the adjustments and tune-ups.<br /><br />Let me know if you have any other questions.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The dealer is selling a 2005 Bluewater with the double tandem trailer for 23K. It is a demo model and they are extending the warrantee to 4 years. Is this a good deal or do they normally take a few grand off of that? The retail for a new one is around 26K.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By retail do you mean that is what the MSRP/regular asking price is? If so, I would think you could do better. Remember, the boat has been used some and it is a left over 2005. This is not bad, just all the more reason for them to work with you. You could probably get an '06 for that price range if you negotiate.<br /><br />I would offer $20K and see where he goes from there. See how motivated he is to sell it. The worst he can say is no way. However, I would bet that he comes back with a lower price than $23K.<br /><br />The trialer is probably a V/M...nice quality trialer. The extended warranty is a good deal...Volvo 2+4 right? Remember, the dealer only pays about $250 for that warranty so he is not giving you this large, $1000+ add-on he may claim it to be. <br /><br /><br />When I was looking last fall, I was negotiating a deal on a left over 2005 Monterey 214FS. The last offer I got from the salesman was around $32K. Original asking price was about $34,000. I had some issues with the salesman and went back on a different day to deal with someone else. Long story short, he was worse and flat out lied to me. I fired off an email to the owner about how his sales staff misrepresented facts to me I knew were untrue. In his response, he offered me the boat for $23,990 + he would have it delivered to my house for inspection. He knocked over $8,000 off the already reduced price.<br /><br />My point is the dealer has a lot of negotiating room on the price. Your guy has only come down $3,000 on a left over demo. He probably would come down that much on any boat. <br /><br />Good Luck and don't forget to call the Kal Kustom guy if you have any questions on quality, etc.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ust called the guy back and told him I need 20K. He seemed a little took back and he just said "I'll see what I can do." Of course he said what about a smaller boat. Dang, I feel like I am buying a new car again... same process...

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know what ya mean...actually, its a little harder than buying a car because you can't get a true dealer invoice price like you can for cars.<br /><br />It now comes down to what you feel comfortable paying. I'll bet he comes back with a counter offer. I personally won't cancel the deal over this IF it is the boat you want and like. Make sure it is contingent on a test ride. Good luck

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, he left me a message as said he came down "a little" and wants me to call him. If he would do 21K and include an extended swim platform I would do it