Blown brand new Rebuilt powerhead rebuild it again ???

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I have a 1988 150 hp Evinrude The engine has about 30 hrs on new powerhead. I had problems with it this season after the carbs were rebuilt. Was't getting fuel to one cyl at WOT found out today when at WOT and it just died. I did get it restarted and did compresion test on the #3cyl ZERO metal on plug! Rebuild it or buy new?<br />steve

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Blown brand new Rebuilt powerhead rebuild it again ???

Start over. Sounds like a screw up in the rebuilding. Sounds like rings were thrown. Possibly new rings on bad pistons that should have also been replaced. Sounds like something was not put together correctly, and now there is serious damage.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

Another possibility is they forgot to ridge ream the cylinder, and the new rings hit the ridge and shattered.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Why did the motor have to be rebuilt/replaced in the first place?

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you rebuild again, make sure the powerpacks,sparkplug wires, are good. Service bulletin may require 4 degree reduced timing for 87 fuel.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

This powerhead was bought as a replacement for a pervious blown engine.It was bought off the shelf from local marina.<br />steve

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If the rebuild came with a warranty I'd let the marina deal with it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, you replaced a blown powerhead. What happened to the first one? (Why did it need replacing?)<br /><br />What we're after here is to find out if the same thing happened to the first one as the replacement. In most cases if you have piston on the plug its an ignition issue. The CAUSE of the first failure may have been transfered from the original powerhead to the replacement. <br /><br />It happens all the time.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya I am not sure why the first one was replaced as I bought it after this one was put on it. The original motor is a 1980 could have been just time, 24 years old.<br />This one is a rebuild 1988 I bought it this year after the owner passed away. <br />steve

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Time alone does not cause failure.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

new powerhead being shipped as we speak will be back in the water 2 weeks yoo Hoo!

DHPMARINE

Captain

sorry to suggest yoo Hoo doesn't always last.Imperative you find out why #3 cylinder failed.possible carb rebuilt improperly?collapsed or kinked or leaking fuel hose to that carb?Can't think of a specific timing problem that affects #3 cylinder,but if it's (timing)off,maybe #3 is first to go.<br /><br />DHP

CATransplant

Admiral

Check those carbs. It sounds like you're running lean on that cylinder. That will kill your engine. Don't lose another powerhead.

clanton

Rear Admiral

See SB 2155 and 2159R for timing changes.

DHPMARINE

Captain

clanton,<br /><br /><br />I can't access these SB bulletins here.Will they lead to powerhead failure ?<br /><br />DHP

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new power head was purchased with all ne components. new carbs coils power packs plugs timmer base flywheel starter wire harness. I will keep the old one for parts and rebuild it this winter. The only reason for its not getting gas is either I left a oilie paper towl in the carb throat or the reeds were stuck from sitting for 5 years . Either way its fault! hey live and learn. I just love working on motors. Its a chalange.<br />steve

miket

Seaman

Stinky, where did you buy your new powerhead?<br />I have 1998 j115 and need replacement