Blowing ignition fuse

REGAL ADDICT

Recruit
I have a 1988 regal 233. Lately when I go to start boat it immediately blows ignition fuse. I put in a new fuel gauge just before this started happening. Since I've completely removed it and still same problem. I even went as far as removing all instruments from ignition and still same problem. So I believe I limited it to ignition circuit. I'm not sure what to check next. It's a 5.7 mercruiser. Any help would be great and appreciated

alldodge

Staff member
put in a new fuel gauge just before this started happening.

Something is going to ground.
Purple wire is 12V and Black is ground
The Red/purple feeds the key switch from the 50 amp fuse on the motor thru the fuse

Get a volt ohm meter (multimeter) and disconnect the battery. Connect the negative lead to ground (black) and the positive (red) to purple wire. Once connected, turn key ON and it will probably go to or close to zero ohms.

Now start moving things around or disconnecting until the ohms increase

REGAL ADDICT

Recruit
Something is going to ground.
Purple wire is 12V and Black is ground
The Red/purple feeds the key switch from the 50 amp fuse on the motor thru the fuse

Get a volt ohm meter (multimeter) and disconnect the battery. Connect the negative lead to ground (black) and the positive (red) to purple wire. Once connected, turn key ON and it will probably go to or close to zero ohms.

Now start moving things around or disconnecting until the ohms increase
I greatly appreciate your input. Another question for thought. A friend had similar issue and it was his coil. Could that be the culprit? I don't own a multimeter but will be going to buy one today. Again thank you for the response.

alldodge

Staff member
While anything is possible, in most cases its hardly ever the coil. To find out if it is, remove the small wires off the + side post and see if it ok then

REGAL ADDICT

Recruit
While anything is possible, in most cases its hardly ever the coil. To find out if it is, remove the small wires off the + side post and see if it ok then
So now I'm a little baffled. I disconnected the coil and turned over with no blown fuse. I reconnected the coil and it fired up and ran fine. So not sure if connections were the issue. I bought and replaced the coil and runs fine. Any ideas why that would happen?

alldodge

Staff member
It started when the fuel gauge was replaced. All I can do is guess, but my thought is one of the purple wires got to close to a ground, or there was a misswire when gauge was installed.

Mentioned, you disconnected all the gauges, so in doing something was moved. The problem might show its head again at a later time if something is loose, or a wire is chaffed causing it to ground out

REGAL ADDICT

Recruit
So now I'm a little baffled. I disconnected the coil and turned over with no blown fuse. I reconnected the coil and it fired up and ran fine. So not sure if connections were the issue. I bought and replaced the coil and runs fine. Any ideas why that would happen?

It started when the fuel gauge was replaced. All I can do is guess, but my thought is one of the purple wires got to close to a ground, or there was a misswire when gauge was installed.

Mentioned, you disconnected all the gauges, so in doing something was moved. The problem might show its head again at a later time if something is loose, or a wire is chaffed causing it to ground out
It still blew fuse after I removed gauge wiring as well. I will reconnect gauge wires tomorrow and see if it does it again. I'll keep you posted and thank you