blower ventillation

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an inboard/outboard and yesterday I removed the louver vents to sand and repaint there about 3 inches by 16 and are attach to the side ,, the one that connects to the bilge blower hose,,but if memory serves me correct doesnt one of the vents go facing the bow and the one that has blower hose face the stern,,, so air comes in and out easier,,, also are there suppose to be one or two bilge blowers thanks this is on a 25ft wa

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: blower ventillation

In my I O , the blower connects to the DISCHARGE hose, and the louvers connected to THAT hose point aft. Blower is low in the engine compartment. The louvers on the intake hoses [there are 2] point FWD. One hose [intake] discharges Hi in the engine compartment, and one low. This is how my boat was set up stock, I hope/assume this is correct. As yours was set up. Dunno about how many blowers you need tho..

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: blower ventillation

Louvered vents that face forward are connected to a flexible hose that lays (technically secured with a zip-tie strap) free in the in the lowest part of the bilge. There is some debate over the efficiency of this, but the common accepted rule is that while travelling forward, fresh air is being pushed into the bilge to aid in ventilation.

The blower is connected to another hose (also at the lowest mounting point), and routed upward to the louvered panel with the louvers facing aft. gas vapors are heavier than air, so the concept is natural ventilation inbound and forced ventilation outbound. Of course, with a typically sealed bilge area, when the blower is activated, it will create a negative pressure (if it were truly sealed) and draw fresh air in more forcefully.