Blower fan

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My current blower does not work and is not hooked up to any tubing, the tubing is there. When replacing the blower, do I want it to blow fresh air into the bilge or suck air from the bilge?

Re: Blower fan

You want to suck air out of the lowest point of the bilge. While the pump is on, fresh air should come in through your vents.

Good luck!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

You want to suck air out of the lowest point of the bilge. While the pump is on, fresh air should come in through your vents.

Good luck!
Exactly... As most explosive fumes are heavier then air, if you just pumped more air in, it may not displace the heavier fumes. Sucking air out of the lowest points of the engine compartment is much more efficient.,. At least thats the way my mind [whats left of it] sees it !:eek::D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

slight correction... It should pull fumes from below any ignition source IE starter ..... It should be at the lowest point that is NOT likely to have bilge water.... If the end of the hose goes under water then it will cease to function

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

slight correction... It should pull fumes from below any ignition source IE starter ..... It should be at the lowest point that is NOT likely to have bilge water.... If the end of the hose goes under water then it will cease to function

Hmmmmm.... Interesting point I hadn't considered. Good detail to consider......Though, in my smaller boat, if I had enough water in the bilge to cover up a 3-4 in hose. I would be more worried about sinking then gettn blowd' up:(:eek::D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

i hear ya...... I've actually seen more than one with the hose attached to a stringer or transom vertically with an inch between the end and hull....... thus 1 inch or just a couple gallons could have blocked it...

NYBo

Admiral

The most important reason for having the blower push fumes out rather than push fresh air in is to create negative pressure in the engine compartment. With positive pressure (blower pushing fresh air in) fumes will be forced out through ALL openings in the engine compartment, not just the exhaust hose. This includes any openings into other compartments, such as limber holes. Very bad idea.