blinking lights

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 92 f-150, and replaced the wiring harness. lights work. i press the brake, all the lights work. i put the turn signal on, they all flash fast, and can barely see them. the truck signals don't even work. is there a bad ground on the trailer, or somewhere in the truck?

wrenchboy

Cadet
Re: blinking lights

sounds like you need to put in a heavy duty flasher. they are usually under the dash near the steering column. If you cant find it, try turning on the ts without the trailer connected... then follow the clicking sound til you find the flasher..

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even when I put the brake on, all the lights on the trailer get brighter when the lights are on.

Bondo

Staff member

You've got your Wires Crossed in there SomeWhere.......<br />Start at 0 ...+ Go from there........ ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

As long as you are sure you have the lights wired right, wiring problems are nearly always a grounding issue. Make sure you are grounded through the plug, and not just through the hitch. Make sure the ground on the trailer is REALLY clean and if it is of the riveted type, drill it out and install a small bolt in its place, that way you can clean it every year or two. Very common place for grounding shorts to show up.

wrenchboy

Cadet

I'm thinking maybe unplug the trailer, use a test light and test just the harness on the truck. That way it would isolate the problem to the truck or trailer. green is right ts & brake, yellow is left ts & brake. brown is lights, white is ground. If you do this,use the trailer plug ground for the test light, it will verify a ground on the harness..

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I put a heavy duty turn signal swith in last nite, and it still had the problem with the lights on, but I moved the trailer around, and it went away and worked fine. I'm sure I have a bad ground somewhere. I hate wiring. Thanks guys!