Blinded Pilots?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
This news about pilots being blinded by lasers has me baffled. It would seem to me that it would take some great skill to pinpoint the pilots face from on the ground. After all the plane is moving at a high rate of speed. Then to blind him, the laser would need to stay in his eyes for a brief period. If a person is able to do that, it seems he could be able to shoot him with a rifle if he is that good.<br /><br />I could understand that a tracking device would be able to do this, but freehand? <br /><br />I must admit that I don't know a whole lot about lasers. Is there some out there that have that capability to blind a person temporaraily with just a flash to the eyes?

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Blinded Pilots?

Like you I am baffled at the news of a toy keychain type of laser being able to blind pilots. They have a very limited distance. A friend of mine purchased an industrial laser that can pinpoint for over a 100 or 200 yards.... big bucks. Even with that I doubt you could spot a pilot at altitude. Near an airport maybe.... but at 8 or 9000 feet? :confused:

Drowned Rat

Captain

No body's worried about the toy keychain lasers, other that the precedent it sets. It's the industrial lasers that can do the real damage, you know the kind they do laser shows with. These high powered lasers could easily blind a person if shone directly into their eyes. Using a scope would make shining one of these several miles relatively easy. The good news is all the pilot need do is not look at the laser as laser light does not damage your night vision. It's really more of a nuisance than anything.

KaGee

Admiral

The laser that was used last week was what is used in stage performances. The dude bought it on Fleabay.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Some people just don't have common sense. Soon there will be limits on who can own and operate them, then the taxes, and license. It takes idiots like that to make it bad on others. <br /><br />In this day and time of terrorists, why would you want to even point it at an airplane?

D

DJ

Terrorist activity? I doubt it. But, not sure. Ever vigilant is the answer.<br /><br />Kids/adults (so called) doing something stupid with their high tech (company issued) equipment. <br /><br />Most likely.<br /><br />27 incidents in Phoenix. Sky Harbor (Phoenix) traffic travels over miles of resendentail areas before landing. :( (However, that's another story.) Those pilots, if blinded could wipe ot many. I shudder to think.<br /><br />Either way-----IDIOTS!

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vegas used to be bad to go into, several years ago rules where put into effect about where lasers could be used for that reason.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

There has also been problems with those big searchlights they use at grand openings, car lots,etc... The light hitting the cockpit at night lights it up like the sun briefly but enough to cause night blindness. Bad thing on short final.<br /><br />Dave

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by qaztwo:<br /> Vegas used to be bad to go into, several years ago rules where put into effect about where lasers could be used for that reason.
I remember when the LUXOR opened with the beam shooting out of the top. They had to modify that due to pilot's complaints.

Twidget

Commander

Back in 'the day', the Soviet navy used to shine lasers at the cockpits of US planes. It was documented on several occasions. <br /><br />With the proper angle and in the right location, tracking the cockpit area of a landing jet is not out of the question.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the problem stems not from the red laser pointers we're familiar with, but the new geen ones that are significantly brighter.<br /><br />"The green laser beam is incredibly bright when viewed head-on and will cause temporary blindness if shined directly into the eye from close range, according to the Bigha website. At longer distances, the beam is still bright enough to startle a person that is concentrating on another activity such as driving a car or flying an airplane. The beam is easily visible for several miles under the right conditions though it rapidly dims as distance increases. For more information, see www.bigha.com."<br /><br />btw, for those of you with dogs or cats, see if they will chase a laser pointer dot (a red one, green would be too dangerous if accidentally shined directly into their eyes). my two border collies love to chase the 'dot'. Outdoors you can get them running the length of the yard. Indoors you have precise enough control that you can make them chase it around coffee tables, etc. Their favorite toy!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

My two cats go nuts when I do the laser dot thing. It's almost like a remote control cat. I like to see how far they will climb the wall. :D :D

Homerr

Commander

LOL Dave.... I do the same thing.<br /><br />It's fun to try to get them to jump off something while chasing the light! :) <br /><br />H.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Homer, Can those be used to get the cat to play in the street? :p Not that I have a cat...maybe the neighbors do?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was chatting with an animal control officer one day when I turned a stray in. Was telling her about how much my dogs like to play with the 'dot'. Found out she trained her deaf dog commands using a laser pointer. Pretty cool, as long as the dog is awake.<br /><br />I can make my dogs chase into the lake and 'bite' the dot in the water. Any of you cat people ever try the same thing? I'd try it in shallow water; if you did get 'em to jump at it where the water drops off I'm sure it would only work once, lol).

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wana have some extra fun - try running the dot up your buds leg while the cat is chaseing it... That can initiate a whole new level of activity!!!! :D :eek:

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pascal, LOL, I used to be able to get the dogs to at least jump at others feet if I shined it on em, but now they won't do it any more, just wait for it to move elsewhere so they can resume the chase. But I bet a cat will chase it whenever & wherever. Talk about fun!!! Almost worth getting a cat just for when company is over, lol.