Blew my DP-SM 1.95 it has water in the oil

peterg11

Recruit
Lost my out drive on the way in from a tuna trip. There was no noise or warning. Just lost power and props don't spin.
Checked oil and there is water in it. Milk & smelly oil.

Anyone have any idea to what could have happened? I will be hauling it to the shop tomorrow

Thanks for the help
Peter

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Blew my DP-SM 1.95 it has water in the oil

Lost my out drive on the way in from a tuna trip. There was no noise or warning. Just lost power and props don't spin.
Checked oil and there is water in it. Milk & smelly oil.

Anyone have any idea to what could have happened? I will be hauling it to the shop tomorrow

Thanks for the help
Peter

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... My guess is, a seal went bad.... What's yer maintenance history,..??

peterg11

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... My guess is, a seal went bad.... What's yer maintenance history,..??

It is a 2006 2601 striper. I bought the boat 3 years ago and the shop I bought it from did a complete go through.
They for got one thing when I picked it up.
To put oil in the out drive. First run out blew it as you can emagine. Talk about mad. The oil cap was still lose.
My bad for not checkin. I aked if everything was great and they sad take it out and run it.
They ate the total rebuild.They said I lost a seal but it was bone dry no water in it, or oil.
I have had them service it for winterization. but I check everything now even after they do something.
This includes all fluid changes.
They just changed Gimble bearing last time in a few months ago and belows. For slight leak. I checked the oils after that and it was clear. I been on 10 long runs since then.
I would think the rebuild would last years.

What do you know about these drives?

Any help on your experience would help. I go long trips for tuna and halibut. so say 70-120 miles per trip.

Thanks
Peter

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the drive and check for water in the bellows again. Assuming you had water in the bellows when the gimbal bearing was changed, it may not have been the bellows leaking. The grease tubes sometimes leak and let water in to the gimbal bearing and the bellows.
Also when you check the gear oil, do you check the dipstick? The problem with that, is the oil can be clear if the drive has set more than a day, since the gear lube Volvo uses allows the water to separate out and settle to the bottom.
Was the original drive rebuilt, or was it a new drive installed.
Is your shop a certified Volvo shop with trained techs and the special tools needed to rebuild those drives?

peterg11

Recruit

Pull the drive and check for water in the bellows again. Assuming you had water in the bellows when the gimbal bearing was changed, it may not have been the bellows leaking. The grease tubes sometimes leak and let water in to the gimbal bearing and the bellows.
Also when you check the gear oil, do you check the dipstick? The problem with that, is the oil can be clear if the drive has set more than a day, since the gear lube Volvo uses allows the water to separate out and settle to the bottom.
Was the original drive rebuilt, or was it a new drive installed.
Is your shop a certified Volvo shop with trained techs and the special tools needed to rebuild those drives?

Hi Don,

Oil is milky and smells. yes checking wthe dip stick. I will be taking it in today. It was a total rebuild of original drive when it blew the first time. It is a big out fit in Tigard Oregon Not sure they are volvo experts. Anyway they will be pulling drive for sure to find out whats up.
I will post in a few weeks what the issue is

Thanks
Peter