bleeding trim

mrboat

Cadet
i have a 76 silverline comoro 18T with a ford 302 / merc 888 - my trim didn't move up or down, but i could hear the pump running. i added some oil to it- in the down position, and now it comes up slowly, but not all the way. is there a bleed procedure i need to do? :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bleeding trim

It should bleed out just running up and down. Could also be problems with the trim pump, or the cylinders binding or bypassing.

Here is a link to the OEM service manual. It explains all the troubleshooting procedures for whichever pump you have.
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/02/cover.pdf
It's over 1GB in size, so hope you have a brond band internet connection.

mrboat

Cadet

update- i went out and re checked the fluid, and added some more. it was low. i thought it was full :rolleyes: i got it to move up and down, and did find a small hydraulic leak at one of the lines. what i dont understand is this: it has 3 trim buttons. the top one says, " up " the middle one says " up / out " and the bottom one says " in ". only the bottom two work, so it moves up and down. does anyone know why it has 3 buttons? i figured most just had an up / down?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The middle one is 'trim', the top one "trailer".......
Just be happy it works & keep an eye on the gauge when trimming.........
I have to push the top & middle together for 'up'.....;)

mrboat

Cadet

much much thanks to don s for that service manual! :D so everything works now, and you have to hold the top button and middle button at the same time- that is for trailer. thanks for all your help