Bleeding 1986 Merc trim unit

freybaby

Cadet
I recently replaced a hyd line on trim unit--was unsure how to bleed system stopped by local marine shop and mechanic was kind enough to inform that this system should be self bleeding and all I needed to do was put oil in unit, raise it up allow it to sit for 30 seconds, lower unit and continue until running smoothly. I did this but this raised other concerns that I hope someone can help me with
1) He said my fill cap should have a dip stick--it didn't so I am unsure how much oil I should put in -- read earlier tonight that reservoir should be filled to top is this correct?
2) Not knowing how much oil to put in I only filled unit about 1/2 full when I tried to bleed system--while lowering unit I had oil (frothy obviously full of air) coming out of one line on each cyl--was wondering if this was normal and how it bleeds or is this a sign of something else--stopped bleeding system until I get answers
3) What is the knurled knob on unit that screws in and out and how do you know where it should be set
4)Should vent hole be open or have screw in it(saw you tube vid that had screw in vent hole)
Thanks for any input anyone has

Re: Bleeding 1986 Merc trim unit

I would turn out the manual release valve (found perpindicular where transom meets bracket should be toward the lower transom bracket area, a slotted screwdriver style). Turn it out slightly until lower unit cant be manually lifted and lock into full up position fill with power trim fluid or ATF, turn manual valve back in till it seats and operate the trim up and down and repeat (once you get upward movement don't have to use manual valve again.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bleeding 1986 Merc trim unit

once you lift the motor and fill up resivor close the release valve and up and down you go with motor, you may have to refill, but only fill in the up position, and fill all the way up. you may still have to bleed lines, not all air will come out. sometimes the air get a locked in and the only way is to bleed, they are suppost to be self bleeding but if the have all air it will take a lot of up and downs.