Black Max 150 Help please

spocter72

Cadet
Hello All; I have a spark problem with a 1988 Black Max 150. I have 1 cyl on 1 side and 2 on the opposite side not firing. I swapped coil wires on the switch boxes to check the coils and they work.It has 1 switchbox for each side.Does anyone have any deas that might help find the problem? Also, on the tillt and trim, It weeps down fairlly quickly. It has a manual release valve on the side . I put new "O" rings on that but still comes down.Are there any ideas on this also? I think i'm falling apart LOL Thank You very much

Last edited:

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Black Max 150 Help please

Also, on the tillt and trim, It weeps down fairlly quickly. It has a manual release valve on the side . I put new "O" rings on that but still comes down.Are there any ideas on this also?

I believe that the cause of your trim leak down problem could be any one of a variety of things and I can't provide a reliable guess as to the most likely cause. I can suggest that you check out the below guides and sytematically troubleshoot the problem. Others with more experience with trim systems may be able to provide more educated guess as to the likely cause. Good luck.

Attachments

• Trim Troubleshoot Mechanical.jpg
    Trim Troubleshoot Mechanical.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Trim Troubleshoot Flow_1.jpg
    Trim Troubleshoot Flow_1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Trim Troubleshoot Flow_2.jpg
    Trim Troubleshoot Flow_2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0

spocter72

Cadet

Does anyone have an exploded view of the tilt and trim on this engine they could share,and does "iboats" have a rebuild kit for it? I have looked but havn't found it as yet. Engine serial# 0B251602..... Thank You Much

spocter72

Cadet

It actually works fine but has a leak down issue. I think it is a seal or check valve issue...thanx

spocter72

Cadet

I was wondering if it has air in it or something. How much flluid should be in the tank? Can you over-fill it? Is there a way to bleed the air out? I know its alot of questions, but learning as I go. Thank You

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know its alot of questions, but learning as I go.

I suggest that you get a Mercury OEM shop manual for your motor. It will contain most of the information you need to troubleshoot/repair the trim system. This forum is great, but you probably will not be able to get all the information you need to troubleshoot/repair the trim system. I would not consider doing it without an OEM manual for reference. Just my thoughts...

spocter72

Cadet

Thank You..I know you are right. Its just that money is tight right now is why I don't have one as yet