Black box for 55hp Evinrude

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Some may remember my post about my 1977 55hp Evinrude hard to cold start. The local boat mechanic has diagnosed a faulty black box. <br /><br />A. Does this sound correct I thought it would always work / not work. Not just a problem cold. <br /><br />B. Are there any site you can get these online that may be cheaper than the AUD$300 (plus $40 fitting) quoted.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Black box for 55hp Evinrude

Thats a good possibilty, try Iboats , NAPA, maybe the internet but beware of used one inless you know where they came from,

nc4z

Seaman Apprentice

Black box? Do you mean the CDI Power Pack ? I thought they either were good or bad. <br />Is the choke working ok ?

nc4z

Seaman Apprentice

I had a similar problem 3 yrs ago.<br /> I have a 1978 55 Evinrude so electrical may be the same. The grounding wire that stops ignition is a Black/Yellow wire. This wire could have a high resistance short. Enough to weaken the spark maybe but when engine is running spark is stronger since magnet is passing stator much faster. Disconnect this wire and try to start.On the 78 this B/Y wire goes from the ignition switch to a small plug with 3 wires Orange, Orange and B/Y at the rear of engine near the Power Pack.<br />Heres some info from the internet, which is what I just said.:))<br />THE POWERPACK is the portion of the ignition system that stores electrical energy produced by the stator (or steps up battery voltage and stores it in older systems) and distributes this power to the ignition coils. The complexity of this circuitry causes numerous failure modes, generally the large storage capacitor shorts out.<br /><br />TROUBLESHOOTING TIP. All electric start motors have a "stop" or "kill" circuit that carries all the primary power thru the wiring harness and keyswitch as well as the emergency stop switch on newer models. Shorting of this high voltage circuit on magneto energized CD systems many times is the source of misses, intermittent spark, weak spark and NO spark. An easy test (and the FIRST test I run) is to disconnect the stop circuit at the powerpack plug-in or screw terminal. This wire will be black with a yellow stripe on all modern motors. This will isolate the harness, etc. and allow you to see if the motor's system is functional

dolluper

Captain

Maybe his shift and trottle control is the black box

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

$40 to replace it, even in your dollars, is a bit much. It might take me four minutes to replace a powerpack on a bad day.... two bolts, two plugs, and shazam! My WIFE even changed one once!<br /><br />- Scott

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for the replies.<br /><br />OK I got my book out had a good long read, got my multimeter and had a play. (I now know what a power pack / block box is) Tried it without the kill wire attached. I to now suspect the Power pack as all resistances up to it are within tolerances. I cleaned the earth lead and its currently running. But I'm assuming it may be a bad connection inside of the CDI Power pack. <br /><br />Dolluper: the boatfix sounds good, thanks. Do you know what the part is? Is it a full sealed unit or is it a repair kit?<br />From the site "OMC PP2 No RPM Limiter W/Cover $90.00 $59.67 Rapair CDI"<br />($US59.67 = $AUD78, a lot cheaper than the $AUD300 quoted)<br /><br />Thanks

dolluper

Captain

Whole thing just a bolt on good time to buy it's on sale reg 90 bones not competly sure e-mail or call them

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sounds like this motor may be pre 1970,not 1977.<br /><br />DHP

dolluper

Captain

Good point DHP maybe he could post his serial# so we can make sure it really is a 77

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure what makes it sounds older? <br /><br />Model 55773D<br />Serial 323654<br /><br />Kev