Bird seeking radar

chata

Recruit
I want to install a radar on my boat that is at least entry level for spotting diving birds in offshore Florida waters, say three miles away. For various reasons I can not handle a 4 foot antenna but can accommodate a 2 foot open array antenna. Would like reccommendations from someone who has been there and done that. Reel Quik

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bird seeking radar

IMHO you won't be able to spot birds with a 2' open array because its horizontal bandwidth is not narrow enough. Furuno, for example, lists their 2' open array as having a 3.5 degree bandwidth. Seems that a bandwidth of less than 2 degrees is needed to reliably see birds at reasonable distance, plus sufficient power output to give a detectable return signal from something as small as a bird. The height of the antenna over the water plays a part too, but not as great as the bandwidth and power. A 12kw Furuno with a 4' open array will for sure show birds out to 10 miles or so. A 6kw with the 4' open array will also suffice and is more reasonable. For some actual experiences and even pictures, read the following from another forum (it's long, read the whole thing (4 pages) to get the full gist):<br /><br />Finding birds with radar<br /><br />Be prepared to spend $ome buck$ to see birds on radar. Good luck. :)