Binding Teleflex Steering After Disassemble

WellFast210

Cadet
To make things easy during a new gauge install, I removed my steering wheel and disassembled the rack and pinion to get dash off.

Now I have a funny binding issue. When turning steering wheel, it gets really hard, but if I ease off the pressure slightly, it instantly frees up until it binds again. Usually when going to turn opposite way. Happens while steering both ways.

Anybody experience this before?

I do know the woodruff key was not in the same position when reassembling. Only observation. No slop in steering. Maybe an inch of travel left to right.

Thoughts on how I can fix?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Did you assemble it right? Were there spacers (washers) between the gear and rack

WellFast210

Cadet
Did you assemble it right? Were there spacers (washers) between the gear and rack

Yeah, it got assembled correctly. Just a couple extra parts left over. J/K :)

My thinking is, (and this is just a thought), after years of being mated in the same position, the internal parts, gear/rack teeth, wear a certain way that it is now like a match set. Since the only thing I did different was not getting pinion shaft in the exact same position, I would think this is probably why.

There is only, what, 12-15 teeth on the pinion gear? Heck, I'll index every gear if I have to. If it doesn't work, I guess I can live with fighting a steering wheel. But now that leads me to another question.

How strong is a Teleflex steering system? Do I have to worry about something breaking when going full tilt, 55mph and losing steering?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would not just live with questionable steering, they are not very expensive to replace the entire R&P along with the cable. Then you won't have any worries or a disaster on the water, just fun.

southkogs

Staff member
Teleflex is good stuff. Nothing to worry about in that sense. But I agree with Watermann ... it's worth putting the money into fixin' it right.

WellFast210

Cadet
Thanks guys.Yeah, after I made that reply, I went searching. Turns out it isn't that expensive. But that leads to another question. While searching, I see Teleflex make a rack & pinion that has a "No Feedback" option. It is a little more expensive. But, I sure like the sounds of it.

Do they make this for an I/O? Or is that only for an Outboard?