Bimini Tops help!!!

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking to replace my old bimini top (which is quite sufficating during hot weather) with an aftermarket style like the ones for sale on iboats. However I am not sure what material is best for our 94 Starcraft 2010ss 20' bowrider. Is the 4ft to small or is the 6ft to long, which material will last the longest (avoiding tears while cruising)...looking for any suggestions..thanks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Bimini Tops help!!!

Sumbrella, take your old one to a upholstery shop to use as a pattern and have one made.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The length depends on how much shade you want. My 20' boat has a 6' bimini and I wish I'd gotten a 8' instead.

Sunbrella will last longest. Mine is not sunbrella but I'm happy with it. Your choice of fabric is dependent on how much use or abuse you want it to tolerate.

You may find you can buy a complete new bimimi online for less than new fabric at a local upholstery shop. Price both and see.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Get one bigger than you think you want...we all wish that now;)

MikePNJ

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with the other points stated. A 4 foot would be way too small for a 20ft boat. It would barely cover you at the helm, unless that is what your looking for. I bought a 6 foot for my 20 ft bow rider last year.

Another thing to consider is the mounting brackets. Stainless or plastic, and if you will have it mounted to stay up with braces all the time.

This will effect how your boat cover fits and if you will need to remove it each time you dock or tow it.

Mike

79camaro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am looking for the same thing, 6' seems best. My question is height, there are so many choices I don't know what's best?

MikePNJ

Seaman Apprentice

I am looking for the same thing, 6' seems best. My question is height, there are so many choices I don't know what's best?

Check the mounting points on your boat where you will be putting the frame. Stand in your boat with a tape measure and see where 36 and 48 inches up from that point are. You will want to be able to stand up comfortably under it, but not so high up that it wont shade the sun. This distance varies depending on how high your gunwale or windshield frame mount is.

astrobass1

Cadet

what I did was took mine to a awning company and they used commercial awning fabric with Triple stitching, double layered loops for the poles sleeves for the supports had it for 4 years now better than what came on it. They said they do about 10 a year

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sunbrella, I had a few boats with Sunbrella and loved them all.