Bimini top question

Mikejr

Seaman
I have a 2005 Bayliner 175 with the standard 3.0L Mercruiser I/O. The boat came with a bow cover and a tall bimini that fastens to the windshield and goes up to 46 inches just behind the middle of the seats (standard front back type). It would make a great front for a full cabin type enclosure, but we use it exclusively in the summer on a lake so only need shade coverage, not wind or rain.

The problem is this bimini really blocks my ability to see and drive the boat. So we're going to buyy one of these (or similar) from iBoats - Westland 46" series in Sunbrella (http://biminitops.iboats.com/Bayliner/175_(2003-2009)_Westland-4675/6636/?cart_id=144139109). The come in 36" and 46" options and i'm not sure if 46" will be too high.

Two questions -
1. Can I cut the poles down a couple of inches if I want it a bit lower or will this mess up the geometry of the 3 bow system?
2. Are the support poles worth the extra $36 - why or why not?

Thanks all!
Mike

Attachments

• photo223534.jpg
    photo223534.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You can use a pipe Cutter tool to cut the length down just measure twice and cut once. Replacement connecting hardware is also available here on iboats. And imo, I do like the support poles. That way you can lay the bimini back against the support poles, put the boot on and leave the whole system connected but not "open"