Bimini top... How tall?

maxxpower

Seaman
Hello everyone, I am having a custom bimini top <br /><br />made for my new boat [Bayliner 175]. I decided<br /><br />on Sunbrella fabric and a 6' length but I need <br /><br />help in determining the best height. I want to<br /><br />be able to stand up under it but I don't want it<br /><br />so high that it does not provide adequate shade. <br /><br />Does anybody have a bowrider with a top high <br /><br />enough to stand under? If so what are your likes<br /><br />and dislikes. Is it stable, how does it look, <br /><br />and does it perform? Thanks in advance! :)

James Bond

Seaman
Re: Bimini top... How tall?

My uncle has a Bayliner 205 (I think) Capri, and we put two 6' bimini tops on it, one for the front and one for the back, so it ends up covering the entire boat in one big bimini, tall enough to walk comfortably under (I'm 5'11") and we never had any problems with the tops even when going full speed across the lake.....of course our top speed was way lower because of the drag from the tops.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maxxpower , I have a 6'bimini on mine.Covers entire boat from windshield to stern.Two pieces.Unzips in the middle so back part can be taken off whenever you want.Zip out windows etc.etc.Never had any problems with it at all.Most other biminis I see are 6' also.Hope this helps you a bit.They are expensive though aren't they?

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

I put a 6' bimini on my Bayliner 205. Total height from floor to top is about 75". It looks fine on the boat. My 6' brother can walk under the top and the shade is good. I would not go less than 72" (6') in height.

maxxpower

Seaman

Thanks alot guys, I think that I will go with the 6' height. My main concerns were stability and shade, but I also want it to look good. My local canvas shop quoted me $390 for a custom made top using Sunbrella, so yes they are kind of pricey but I think it will be well worth it.<br /><br /> Thanks for responding :)