bilge water

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took my new boat (well, new to me) out for the first time today. I was out four hours; when I got it back on the trailer, I pulled the drain plug on the low part of the transom, and to my surprise, it released a gallon or more of water out of the bilge. I don't think I wanna leave this sitting in a slip very long w/o a pump.<br />However, the deck on my boat seems to be solid, and I don't see how to access the bilge to put one in.<br />Any advice?<br /><br />1978 Manatee 20 footer w/cuddy. Outboard power.

D

DJ

Re: bilge water

dk,<br /><br />It could be as simple as your drain pug is not sealing properly.<br /><br />Otherwise, anything mounted to the deck is a potentail leak (console, handles, etc.)<br /><br />You can install a pump. Just get a deck plate and cut out a hole the same size.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: bilge water

There are no penetrations from above... unless where the seats fasten. I suppose it's rainwater I drained out. Hmmmm. I assumed it was some leakage in the hull, though looking at the fiberglass bottom, I don't know where, except as you say - around the plug itself.<br /><br />As for installing a pump, just cut a hole in the deck, fit a standard hatch or cover and that's it? I hoped it would be that simple.<br />Thx for the qwik reply.