Bilge Pump

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. I have a 2001 Crestliner 1800 superhawk I/O. How come the bilge pump doesn't pump any water, but when I pull it out of the water and pull the plug I get water out of it? I know the bilge pump works. I washed the boat out yesterday with the hose and checked the pump. I put the boat in the water thurs. afternoon and pulled it out sun. afternoon. When I pulled the plug it drained probably 5 to 7 gals. of water.

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bilge Pump

Is the water in your boat up to the pickup hole (or tube) of your pump. I can have some water in my boat that the bilge wont pick up also however not 5-7 gallons. Are you sure it is working?

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Does your pump have a float switch to trigger it automatically, or just a dashboard mounted switch? You should have a three-position dash switch, on-off-auto. In 'auto' it will pump when needed.

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

No, when I look under the engine where the pump is I dont see any water. And I am sure the pump works. I have a dash mounted switch, but it has only two positions. It seems to me that under the pump,where its mounted it looks like the bottom of the boat, but I think there is another space below that,that is drained by pulling the plug. Tomorrow I will look under the engine and see if I can see the drain plug from the inside. I dont remember seeing it, but I will double check. I,ll post what I find tomorrow. Goodnight. P

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

First I would determine where the water is coning from. 5-7 gallons seems excessive so I would check the hull carefully.<br /><br />Most pumps have 3 wires. A positive to the battery a negative to the battery (which permits automatic operation of the pump..provided the float switch works) and a third wire which is normally attached to a switch for "switch on operation" (which also gets positive power from the switch.<br /><br />Keep it afloat.<br /><br />Bob :)

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

The water in the hull was from three days of skiing tubing and swimming. I dont think that is too much do you? what concerns me is not being able to pump it out with the bilge pump. the pump doesnt have an auto feature on it. P

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I see you have a 2001 boat. Have you consulted with the dealer about it? I would confront the dealer first. An automatic bilge pump is quite inexpensive maybe yours has a defect?<br /><br />If you can remove the pump look and see if it has a small float inside it. Check to see it works and is free of debris.<br /><br />Keep us informed.<br /><br />Bob :)

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Look at the bilge area... water collects there... you will never get a completely dry bilge area with people in/out, tubing etc...<br /><br />I think five to seven gallons might be excessive but you are guessing??? right???... get a bucket & put behind to see what you really get...<br /><br />Mine always drains a little... why get automatic bilge when you run it when you run your blower after stopping... kick 'em both on at the same time!!!

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

Good idea fone-man! I'll try the bucket thing next time I go out. Also I will actually look under the motor before I pull the plug. It may be that there isnt enough for pump to work. The boat will be due for its 20 hr. service after a couple more outings and I'll pose the question to the dealer at that time. Thanks for the info.P