Bilge pump

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was testing my bilge pump on my V-156 Raycraft <br />and it ran great for a few seconds and then slowly<br />stopped running. It's like the battery was going down all at once(battery is fine). Now I get nothing when I flip the switch. Fuses are all good too. Did I burn it up or what? The one on the boat now is a Attwood. If it neds replacing what is the best one to buy?<br /><br />Dutch

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bilge pump

Thanks for the tip Jacques321. I'm still wondering if the motor burned up(it's a 91 boat) or something else is wrong. By the way I checked and it's a Mayfair pump not Attwood(my mistake).<br />I can get a replacement for it for $11. I just don't want to spend the bucks and it turns out to be something else. Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Dutch

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Every time my bilge pump stops like you've indicated it's because it's clogged. Last time it was a candy wrapper....no doubt from one of the kids. At any rate.....disconnect, look inside and determine if the impeller is stuck, or if the output line is clogged. Hope it's a simple aggravating fix like mine usually is!! Good luck.............

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dutch, my bilge pump (Rule 500) burned up and I replaced it for about $7 (local Boater's World). I did not buy Rule ($16.99) or Attwood ($24.99) brand but a normal pump for a few bucks.<br /><br />Like MrBill says, it can be just clogged but if it's not, the cost of a new pump is not necessarily scary.<br /><br />Lou

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I will take it apart and see if it's clogged or the impellers stuck. It's very good to know that that is one of the cheapest parts I've seen yet on a boat.<br /><br />Dutch