Bilge pump....water not emptying manually

Thanks to all who have responded to my previous questions. Here's another one:

Can anyone tell me if a boat has to be running or do the batteries have to be charged in order for the bilge pumps to work? There is water in one of my bilges and the water is not emptying when I manually pull up on the float/lever.

Thanks

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bilge pump....water not emptying manually

It depends on how you pump is wired.

Ideally your wiring should go directly from the battery to a switch on the dash. This switch should have a manual and auto position. Two wires leave the switch, the "auto" wire goes to the float switch then the pump, the "manual" wire goes directly to the pump. There should be a fuse between the battery and the pump.

Assuming you boat is wired in this manner, I would switch the pump to manual to see if you are getting power to the pump. If this isn't happening, the fuse is probably blown. Make sure you check your pumps rating, some of these pumps pull quite a few amps. Replace fuse with correct size.

If the dash switch is in the auto position, then you can check the float switch.

You engine doesn't have to be running, but you do have to have a charge in the battery you pump is connected to. This seems pretty obvious, but remember these pumps can pull some power and drain a battery pretty. quickly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have the polarity reverse the pump runs backwards, thus does not pump water out.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my boat, the bilge pump switch has two settings...auto and on...I cannot turn it off. When on auto, it will kick on anytime it needs to. When switched to on, the key must be turned to "on" or "acc" for the pump to kick on.

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class

i've noticed on my bilges, that when there is a lot of water, the bilge works fine, but when there is some water, but not enough for it to suck up through the bilge, then it just remains there until more water accumulates and gets sucked up...

is this normal for my bilges as well?? is it mounted too high?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

To answer frat17, do you know if the float switch is being activated wth whatever water is in the bilge? If there is insufficient water to raise the float switch then the bilge pump will not come on automatically. You should always be able to use the manual switch on the console to override the float switch. :)