Bilge pump test with plug in

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice
I keep my boat in storage on the trailer at the marina. To get ready for the weekend, one friday afternoon i went to gas it up at a local gas station. Got back to the marina and since the weekend before that the battery seemed a bit weak when i cranked the engine, i decided to do a quick test by sttarting the engine at the boat ramp.

AFter putting the plug in and backing the boat into the water, the first thing i noticed was the depth finder showed only a couple feet--no problem b/c i'm not going to put it in gear--must be because the lake is down a few feet--and the boat sure seems to be at a steeper angle walking from the helm back to the stern. Engine starts right up and i let it warm up, shut it down, raise the drive, and pull her out.

After towing to storage, I go to take out the plug and instead of the usual 1/2 second trickle, water pours out of the drain long enought for me to sit there wondering how much longer is it going to drain--What the h-----?!

I had left the rear tie down straps on, so the rear of the boat didn't float up as it normally does. Water must have leaked in through the scuppers or something. The bilge pump under the engine failed the test--it didn't work at all. I checked the bilge and could see how far up the water went--it might have bearly reached the bottom of the engine--possibly--but the spark plug wires hang down some and those were dry.

I've yet to forget to put the plug in--thanks to online boating forums--but i think this qualifies as some sort of SHT. Engine started right up on the weekend.
Paul:/

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bilge pump test with plug in

Coveseeker,
Since the boat was on such an angle at the ramp, the bilge switch may not have been tripped by the water level. At that angle, I believe there would have to be a bunch of water in the bilge to trip the switch, plus it wouldn't have pumped out completly if it did pump. I would try the switch manualy and see if the pump doesn't come on. Also, make sure the thru hull fittings are clear. I have had muddobbers build nests in the thru hull fitting and wouldn't allow the water to be pumped from the bilge.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bilge pump test with plug in

CoveSeeker said:
I keep my boat in storage on the trailer at the marina. To get ready for the weekend, one friday afternoon i went to gas it up at a local gas station. Got back to the marina and since the weekend before that the battery seemed a bit weak when i cranked the engine, i decided to do a quick test by sttarting the engine at the boat ramp.

AFter putting the plug in and backing the boat into the water, the first thing i noticed was the depth finder showed only a couple feet--no problem b/c i'm not going to put it in gear--must be because the lake is down a few feet--and the boat sure seems to be at a steeper angle walking from the helm back to the stern. Engine starts right up and i let it warm up, shut it down, raise the drive, and pull her out.

After towing to storage, I go to take out the plug and instead of the usual 1/2 second trickle, water pours out of the drain long enought for me to sit there wondering how much longer is it going to drain--What the h-----?!

I had left the rear tie down straps on, so the rear of the boat didn't float up as it normally does. Water must have leaked in through the scuppers or something. The bilge pump under the engine failed the test--it didn't work at all. I checked the bilge and could see how far up the water went--it might have bearly reached the bottom of the engine--possibly--but the spark plug wires hang down some and those were dry.

I've yet to forget to put the plug in--thanks to online boating forums--but i think this qualifies as some sort of SHT. Engine started right up on the weekend.
Paul:/
Sure does not help the bouyancy thing when you are tied down !!!