Bilge Pump Selection/Installation

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I am brand new to boating and this website, and I am writing to ask people more knowledgable than I about bilge pumps. I have to imagine I'm not the first to ask, but I did a search and didn't see exactly what I was looking for so I apologize if I missed something. I also saw a lot about bilge pumps in this forum so I thought it would be the right place, but please forgive me if it's not.

I just bought a 1985 Wellcraft 190 American, 19' with the 170 hp Mercruiser I/O. It has a dash switch for the bilge pump but does not work. Under the engine I found two Black Max 600 GPH pumps, both plumbed (looks to be 3/4" all the way out the side of the boat) and wired together in series. I'm guessing this is not right, but I'm only the new guy. The previous owner knew they didn't work, but he was comfortable with not having one because he only had the boat on the water when he went fishing during the day and trailered it otherwise (again not something I'm excitied about, maybe I just don't know enough).

Anyway, I've been reading articles on the web about how a boat of my size should have two pumps that add up to ~ 2500 GPH capacity and plumbed/wired completely independently. Most articles seem to suggest an automatic, smaller capacity primary pump and a larger capacity, manually activated secondary that is higher in elevation. Articles like these I find from web searches are forming my opinion:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

My first question is, does my understanding sound right for a boat like mine and/or is that what you guys do?

Next, I'm wondering about how to select/install the pumps. I do not know how big a deal it is to attach new strainers/pumps to the bilge, nor how big a deal it is to enlargen the outlet hole where the pump outlet hose leaves the boat. Being a newcomer, my first inclination is to pick the biggest capacity 3/4" outlet pump that snaps into a standard strainer because I don't have to add/enlargen holes in my boat, but this strategy seems to limit me to a single ~ 800 GPH pump. I'm not sure this is the right way to go either.

Can anyone give any advice as to both the pump(s) selection and their installation? The thing that scares me most is drilling holes in the boat, but maybe those wiser than I do it all the time. Our plans are to trailer the boat vs leave it in the water all season, I don't know if that changes anything.

Thanks for any help you can give; I know I have a lot to learn about boating but am excited to do so.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bilge Pump Selection/Installation

I would get the biggest one I could find with a float switch, wire it directly to the battery and call it done. For emergecies I also carry a second pump with alligator clips and a 5' or so length of garden hose attached that I can clip onto my battery in a jam.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I would get the biggest one I could find with a float switch, wire it directly to the battery and call it done. For emergecies I also carry a second pump with alligator clips and a 5' or so length of garden hose attached that I can clip onto my battery in a jam.

exactly what i do. And, ive had to use the spare one to bail out a buddys boat when his quit working once. sooo glad to have it on board. My main one is a 500 gph fully automatic Rule pump.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was my boat I'd find out if the pumps in the boat work. There is no way they would be wired in series and work so that might be the problem. Take them out and test them with a battery charger or alligator clips from the battery. If they work wire them up to the dash switch correctly and buy a float switch and connect it up.

Summer Fun

Banned

I would get the biggest one I could find with a float switch, wire it directly to the battery and call it done
Yep I have 3 2000 gph Rule pumps on my tug :). With all 3 running at once I don't think my boat will sink. :)
10-pc99.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have 2 on mine, a 500 for rain water and an 1100 just incase, both wired seprately.

Both have float switches and the 500 is also wired to the dash.

I set mine up so the 500 kicks on first and 1100 is wired to an alarm so if it goes off I know I have a problem, i.e forgot plug or got a big hole somewhere.

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice

Hi all, thanks for the quick and helpful advice. Carrying the spare pump loose seems like a good idea for a few of the reasons noted, I probably wouldn't have thought of that so thanks for sharing.

Mike343, I do indeed plan to check the Black Max pumps with a spare truck battery. Do you think these 600 GPH units are too small to do anything with, or if one works do you think I could use it as the primary pump for my size boat?

The wheels are turning now, see if you think this is a wise plan for the boat size I have:

- If the existing pumps are both shot, get the largest capacity pump I can find that still has a 3/4" outlet to use as the primary (I think this will limit me to 800 - 1000 GPH). Then I don't have to enlargen the thru-hull hole, which is currently 3/4" and was probably set that way at the factory.

- Buy a much larger pump (~ 2000 GPH) and keep it loose with the hose/alligator clip setup. I've heard Rule makes some good large capacity pumps.

Am I overlooking anything?

Also, it seems to me that it would be a good idea to wire the primary pump to the dash switch with two options: the "OFF" switch position would be automatic mode (controlled by the level switch), and the "ON" position would be a way to override the level switch and turn on the pump whenever I wanted to. In this scenario, the pump is never really off. I think I saw someone else suggest that on this site somewhere; is this is a good idea and/or does anyone else use them this way?

Again, thanks for putting up with the new guy's questions, I really appreciate it. I wanted to make sure I asked and did it once vs the alternative.

Summer Fun

Banned

Thats how mine are setup. Off / Automatic / On. :).
In the automatic mode I have 2 little green LED lights that tell me if they're on.
So I don't leave them off by accident. :redface: