Bilge Pump Question

Poncho Villa

Seaman Apprentice
I just recently purchased my first boat ('81 Ranger 330-V). The boat sat about 5 years and I'm trying to get everything tested and working before I take it out. When I switch the bilge pump on, I hear nothing but I don't really know how it's supposed to work.

Are the bilge pumps made to run with some kind of float switch? Will I not hear anything unless it actually has something pump? If so, is there any way to test it other than pumping water into the bilge?

Sorry for the newbie questions! :redface: I appreciate your advice!

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bilge Pump Question

Most times when you turn it on you should hear the motor run, I've yet to see one that was so quiet I couldn't hear it. Bildge pumps are turned on/off via a switch usually mounted on the console. They can also be set up with a float switch for automatic operation (some have the float switch built in). Turn on your pump than go put your hand on it to see if it's running, maybe you got a stealth pump. If it's not running get a multimeter and test to see if it's getting currant. If it's getting currant than your pumps prolly shot or stuck from sitting for so long. No currant means wiring/fuse/corrosion issues. Is it a carteridge type pump? If so, pull out the carterage and see if it's cloged/gumed up. I've owned several old boats that sat for awhile before I got them and usually I've been able to get most stuff working again with a good cleaning of all connections/sockets/switches/etc.

Red

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Poncho, my experience with bilge pumps tells me there should be a float switch to detect the water level, otherwise it can't automatically pump if you're not onboard or are not constantly checking the bilge. The best control is a 3 position switch. OFF/ON/AUTO
Normally, while using the boat, you would leave the switch in AUTO which means that power is fed to the float switch in series with the pump motor. If water lifts the float, the pump starts AUTOmatically.
Because floats sometimes get stuck in the low level position due to floating debris, the ON position bypasses the float switch and directly powers the pump so you can manually get the water out. However, should the float stick in the high level position, you'll want to manually turn the pump OFF. So you really need a 3 position switch.
The only way to find out whether your pump has a float and confirm that the pump actually works is to add some water to the bilge. This is best done with the boat on a trailer that you can use to tip the hull to maximize the water depth at the transom (assuming the pump is near the transom) with a minimum of bilgewater. You can do this check in the water, but it will need take on more bilgewater without the boat tipped. You also have to be able to get the water out again if the pump doesn't work. Let me know how you make out.
- Grandad

Poncho Villa

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick and thorough replies! I'll check your suggestions tomorrow. If it weren't late already I would run out there now and check!
Thanks again; you guys are great!