Bilge Pump/Livewell aerator question

Jeff Peacock

Seaman
I've got a problem with my bilge pump and livewell aerator. I had an idiot in my boat at my house who, in the course of "checking it out", managed to flip both the livewell and bilge pump switches to "on", and left them there. I wasn't home at the time, nor was he in a position to decide on his own to "check things out", but he decided to do so anyway. I found them switched on two days later, and now the pumps don't come on at all. I fear the obvious-that both pumps, running dry that long, are shot. My question is whether or not there would be a fuse or some other sort of fail-safe that would prevent these pumps from killing themselves when switched on dry and for that long. Any ideas? I'm open to any input available! Thanks.<br /><br />ps. The above mentioned idiot also tried to start the motor- good thing I store it in Forward gear; he asked me "why won't it start?!". moron.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bilge Pump/Livewell aerator question

Ain't nothin like good friends, is there?<br /><br />Check up under the dash for a fuse panel. All accessories should be fused. Or follow the pump wires back and see if there may be an inline fuse. The only other out is to hot wire each pump and see if they still work. Two days is a long time to run continuous for these small pumps.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bilge Pump/Livewell aerator question

Get a volt meter and just check for 12 volts at the wires at the pump with the switch on. If there's voltage, he owes you a pair of pumps.