bilge pump and blower not working.....

pd3

Recruit
i have a 2005 sea ray select 200. all electrical was working two weeks ago when we took the boat out. fast forward to this weekend, went through my checklist of seeing if everything is in working order and get to the bilge pump and blower switches and i got nothing. today i checked fuses on the fuse panel under the helm console. found the blower motor had the wrong fuse in it which was also blown. according to the manual we got when we purchased the boat a month ago it said its rated for 7.5amp fuse, but looks like the previous owner put a 10amp fuse in it instead. took out the blown fuse and put in a 7.5amp fuse instead, flipped the switch, the light came on the blower switch then pop, fuse blown again instantly after i turned it on so i never heard the blower motor run. i checked and reseated both fuses for the bilge pump (one in the fuse panel under the helm and another one back by the battery) but i am still not getting it to work, nor does the light on the end of the switch light up when put in the on position.
need some guidance on how to get these working again. obviously the fourth of july is coming up and want to be able to use my boat. i would like to learn how to troubleshoot and repair it properly myself and hopefully save a few $$$ vs just taking it into a mechanic to fix, but if i have to in order to get back on the water i will. i do have a vom meter but not sure the proper way to use it to determine where the problem is. the positive battery terminal wire connector does have corrosion on it, and from what i can tell the bilge pump and the stereo fuses both connect to that terminal. i guess at the time i didnt think that could be the issue since the stereo still works, but maybe you can shed more light on it if that would be possible or not. i was under the assumption that if the corrosion was causing the issue the radio would not work either. i can take some photos tomorrow and post them as well if you need them.

HELP....... :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: bilge pump and blower not working.....

Welcome to iBoats and hopefully a good 4th of July to you. . . .

Yea, the problem with taking it to a mechanic is that you may have to wait a while to get things looked at & fixed. I got a buddy of mine waiting to have his boat looked at . . . .

From what you described . . . bilge pump and blower are on the same fuse? Usually these things would be on separate fuses . . .
So, fuse blows right away when the blower is turned on. Sounds like a short circuit. You may end up replacing the blower(s).

Also, I would check to see if the bilge pump is stuck 'on' (like with the float switch) and if the bilge pump actually works. So, if you turn the bilge pump on instead of the blower, does the pump work? as in do you hear it running. Does the bilge pump blow a fuse as well?

pd3

Recruit
Re: bilge pump and blower not working.....

Welcome to iBoats and hopefully a good 4th of July to you. . . .

Yea, the problem with taking it to a mechanic is that you may have to wait a while to get things looked at & fixed. I got a buddy of mine waiting to have his boat looked at . . . .

From what you described . . . bilge pump and blower are on the same fuse? Usually these things would be on separate fuses . . .
So, fuse blows right away when the blower is turned on. Sounds like a short circuit. You may end up replacing the blower(s).

Also, I would check to see if the bilge pump is stuck 'on' (like with the float switch) and if the bilge pump actually works. So, if you turn the bilge pump on instead of the blower, does the pump work? as in do you hear it running. Does the bilge pump blow a fuse as well?

i do not here the bilge running at all when i put it into the on position, nor does the switch light up on the switch panel like the other ones do in the on position. from what i have seen on the boat and in the documentation it appears that the blower and bilge are on separate fuses. the bilge one has two fuses actually. one back by the battery and another one underneath the dash in the fuse panel. the blower has just one in the fuse panel. would the corrosion on positive terminal cable connector be causing the bilge issue, even though it appears the stereo wiring is also done the same way to the battery and it still works without any issue?