bilge objects draining cylinder block

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When i removed the blue plastic plugs i found that more water was in there than expected and quickly activated the auto pump switch to drain excess. Pump now runs noisy! it had sucked an "o" ring into the impellor.<br />My thoughts were wonder where that came from?<br />The person who had removed the plugs prior to me had forgotten to replace an "o" ring on one side of the drains. On that side there was a small dribble that flowed. Hopefully this might cure it when i can get it removed from the pump<br /> Just having recently bought the boat i had found a long cross headed screwdriver and hose clip.<br />Wonder where they were supposed to go!

D

DJ

Re: bilge objects draining cylinder block

Peter1959628,<br /><br />Huh?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I bit more inforamation about your rig and your problem may end the confusion. We are all going "HUH?" :confused: :confused: :confused:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow<br /> that may be my<br />screwdriver. there are one or two of them boatriding beneath the engines. and I know of one 6 inch extension that I donated to a customer on a 22 shamrock with a 351. I was nice enough to tell him if he could find it he could have it. I saw it drop and heard the splash but I never found it. as far as the little drain orings, buy spares. you will probably drop one someday :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are we talking about the little blue 'freeze-out' plugs with the little rubber grommets (washers)? My buddy had his boat 'professionally' winterized. Had the same pro ready it in the spring. Left the blue plugs out. Buddy launched the boat and then started wondering why his bilge pump came on after a medium distance run. Jerked it up out of the water & returned it. Problem found when they hooked up the muffs.<br />Next year, same pro winterized the boat. In the spring, he remembered to put the plugs back in this time. However, tightened one up too tight and cracked the plug. Buddy again noticed his bilge pump running. That one had to be removed with an 'easy-out'. Now my buddy has the plugs replaced every year. No more problems and more peace of mind.<br />Getting the little rubber grommet out of the bilge pump might be a problem. If you can't take it out & shake it you might need to replace it. (not a high-$$$ item, though)<br />Good luck!<br />Brian

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes those freeze plugs are the ones that everyone ask about for winterizing are what i'm talking about.<br />Not too difficult to find are they?<br />The "O" ring i fished out of the impellor with a bit of prying.<br />But as for not replacing a simple "o" ring not washer as stated on these plugs makes you wonder!<br /><br />As for the screwdriver and clip they didnt need it& thier loss my gain.<br />You know i guess when you are a marine tech or mechanic its easy to loose/misplace tools phone calls etc. for distractions.<br />Could become costly at the end of the season.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ahhh :) <br /> I got it. Duh Huh :)