Bildge

EvinFla

Seaman
New to boating. I have an 18ft Hydra-sport CC. Recently I went out about a mile offshore, in some 1-3 foot waves, pretty calm day. Caught some larger swells, due to a large amount of boat traffic (Ft Lauderdale Ait & Sea show, estimated 10,000 boats were out. Droped anchor for about 4 hours. <br /><br />Question, on a boat of this size is it expected that you'll get a fair amount of water in the bildge. My bildge probably kicked in about three or four times for roughly a minute or so. Is this considered, about the norm. This is the first time I've seen the bildge operate. Have only been on the Intracoastal and Florida bay.<br /><br />Thanks

flashback

Captain
Re: Bildge

unless it splashes in or rains in, any water is too much water in my book............

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to know myself. Every time I've been out the bilge has about 2" of water in it for some unknown reason.

magster65

Commander

Like flashback says, unless it rains or splashes in you'd better start looking for a leak. I'd check your deck seam first. My SeaRay (I/0) never had a drop in it.

D

DJ

Evin,<br /><br />I'd be looking for a leak.<br /><br />I think you may want to look at your drain plug, since you were inquiring about replacing it earlier.<br /><br />One other thing, if you have a livewell or bait tank, these frequently leak from the plumbing connections.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I had my 21 foot out in seas 10 foot every 7 sec one time and go all the time with seas 7 foot every 9 but never had enough water to pump any out with bildge pump. Even on days with high cross winds where get some spray blown in on the stern did not have water I could pump 0ut of the bildge.

jprasisto

Seaman

The only time my pump kicked in on my Grady was when the hose to the washdown pump cracked and was leaking into the bilge. It was really easy to spot. Lifted the inspection port to the bilge and it looked like a fountain down there. Closed the seacock and it stopped. I don't think spray would put near that much water in the bilge.

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only time my bilge pump ever kicked in was the very first time I launched my boat. <br /><br />I naturally forgot to put the drain plug in prior to luanching.<br /><br />At least I knew right away that my bilge pump worked! :-\