Bikini Stuck

marineseas

Cadet
Just a couple of words to get someone to answer my topic. Last one went unanswered.<br />While out fishing all of a sudden my alarm would beep intermittently and then I saw that my gauges were acting erratic by fluttering. My fuel gauge, My Tachometer was going backwards. My trim levels were bouncing up and down as was my voltage gauge going from 11-14VDC. My GPS turned off by itself.<br />I turned off accesories and still the same things for about 1 hr. Then it seemed to go away for awhile then returned. My motor never died. Nothing was hot. Batteries seem good. What could cause this to happen to all the electronics at the same time?<br />I have a 1995 175HP Evinrude. <br />Sorry no "Bikini's" in the story but I am dumbfounded and need some help.

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bikini Stuck

Check the ground connects, or look for a short circuit somewhere..<br /><br />Belchy

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clean, check and tighten all battery connections...had similar issue a few years ago phantom thing came and went at will might happen 3-4 mins could happen 10-15 min...I removed all battery connections gave then agood cleaning reinstalled and tightened...problem has yet to return...

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before the bikini gets erattic again, I suggest cleaning not only the ground connections but cleaning the power connections. I would do this at all the major interface points that are common to all the affected items (battery switch, terminal blocks etc.).

DHPMARINE

Captain

I would suggest All of the above,and remind you marine batteries have wing nuts because if they had hex nuts you could't tighten them enough with your fingers.<br /><br />Jokes aside,tighten the wingnuts with pliers ! !<br /><br />Doug's Crusade<br /><br />DHP

marineseas

Cadet

Thanks to all. I will tighten everything as stated. I hope that is all it is. I could not see any visual short circuited arcs or evidence of anything burned up.