BIG Wheels for Trailers?

krivnalyendi

Cadet
I've been trying for years to get my boat up the slanted driveway of my parents' house and into the garage. The outdrive hangs too low and drags so bad it gets stuck in the cement.<br /><br />I don't think even a lower tail-hitch will do it - a few years ago we tried rigging a pully system (the truck was connected to a serious of intricate pullies, that basically pulled the trailer up the driveway, from the front of the garage). Even that still got the outdrive stuck on the street. Ridiculous.<br /><br />I'm wondering if maybe I've overlooked a very simple solution. Can I just get really big tires that will raise the whole boat up a few inches? Where can I find them; what's the biggest size I can get? It's got five lug nuts, I can get the tire specs if someone thinks they can advise? Short of that I'm looking at rebuilding my trailer to raise the whole thing further up. Phew.<br /><br />Thanks all,<br />Greg Miller

surfmonkey

Cadet
Re: BIG Wheels for Trailers?

Hitch on the front of your tow vehicle and push it up the hill. Had a similar problem years ago with a very steep and long driveway. This solved my problem...

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

My outdrive when all the way up is above the lowest level of the boat, and then add to it the height of the trailer. No way it will touch a highly pitched driveway or ramp. If you have bunks, can you raise the bunks or make them thicker? Can you send a picture of the situation?.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Please post a pic. I can't visualize your issue. I have never seen a motor/outdrive that couldn't be tilted up far enough to handle any driveway.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree. This is either one heck of a steep driveway or the outdrive is not tilting up all the way. Also, try backing into the driveway at an angle rather than straight back. Once both wheels are on the drive, then straighten it out. When you leave, also depart at an angle to prevent dragging. Raising the trailer will only create a problem when you try to launch the boat. You will need to be in the water all the farther.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

It the angle changes that steeply, get yourself a couple 2x10 planks and when you go to pull in (or back in) put them under the trailer wheels so that they reduce the angle (one end on the street, the other on the drive).

krivnalyendi

Cadet

The driveway isn't even that bad - I've certainly pulled my boat up steeper hills - but there's something about the angle of the street (it's kind of "hump" shaped?) and the angle of my driveway that make it thusfar impossible. I swear I'm not an idiot - I've tried just about every combination of backing it up, driving it up, going at an angle, etc.<br /><br />I'll try it again for kicks tomorrow and take a picture so you can all see the ridiculous situation I'm in.<br /><br />Can anyone give me advice on bigger trailer tires though? :)<br /><br />-Greg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......<br />If you've got the Clearance,..... Bigger Tires are a Possibilty........

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by phantoms:<br /> It the angle changes that steeply, get yourself a couple 2x10 planks and when you go to pull in (or back in) put them under the trailer wheels so that they reduce the angle (one end on the street, the other on the drive).
That would be my suggestion also. :) <br /><br />Raising the boat on the trailer or raising the trailer will make it more difficult to launch and retrieve the boat.<br /><br />Make sure the drive is going up all the way.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe check out the tongue weight ratio, and see if you can move the trailer axle back a bit (or boat forward a bit). If you're wheels are further back towards the outdrive, it may clear the driveway. Using bigger tires is obviously an option but could cause you grief when launching the boat (high & dry).

ndemge

Commander

I've seen on the back of big RV's a big Wheel for when they go over a dip, the back wheel hits the ground instead of the frame, lifts the suspension slightly but gets you over.... get one and clamp it on just for when your going up the driveway

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I think the easiest and cheapest solution is to get one or two skid wheels and weld or bolt them to a low spot(s) at the back of the trailer. That way the wheel(s) will hit the ground and drag for a few feet instead of your motor. These are standard equipment on many campers and travel trailers with long overhangs that may occasionally drag. Here's a link with some samples: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm?deptID=&catID=76&subOf=37,338 <br /><br />As for your tire question, only you can answer that...depends on how much clearance your fenders provide, how far your springs compress on big on bumps, etc. If you have clearance, you can certainly buy bigger tires, but I think installing a skid wheel or two would solve your problem real cheap.

ndemge

Commander

craze1cars... that's what I was talk'n about, but couldn't think of what they were called to go look for them.