Big Shark (Newbie)

Equis

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I have just got a new boat, I have fished alot before but never for big game fish.<br /><br />If/When I catch a big fish (shark are very common where I will be going) how do I get it in the boat?<br /><br />Are you supposed to gaff it and drag it in alive or kill it in the water then drag it in the boat?<br /><br />With most fish are you supposed to kill them as soon as you catch them or just leave them in a bucket or something?<br /><br />Just reading this post back to myself and it sounds like stupid questions but I really need to learn these things.<br /><br />Thanks :)<br /><br />Rhys

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Big Shark (Newbie)

Catch and release the sharks. Take only a fish or two for the barbie and maybe there will be a few left for your kids.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 1st ask yourself "Do I want to lose my leg or an arm?" If answer is "YES" then bring it into the boat alive!!! :D <br /><br />2nd It would be best for you to hook up with a person that goes shark fishing, or spend $800.00 or so for a shark charter!!! <br /><br />You want to kill that shark outside of your boat!!! Be carefull of the tail when he is along side of the boat,you may just get wacked overboard!!!<br /><br />Don't know from what part of the country that you are from but this may or may not be of interest to you!!!<br />www.newenglandsharks.com<br /><br />GOOOOOOD LUCK!! ;) :cool:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

not enough info... <br />how big a shark are we talking about?<br />what kind of boat r u fishing from?<br />what type of sharks are in the area?<br />err on side of caution always!<br />example: a big thresher can decapitate u with<br />her tail in a split second!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Take a 12 gauge with you and shoot it before you put it in the boat.Take care not to shoot through the line.

Equis

Cadet

Hi,<br /><br />Thanks for the replies!<br /><br />It's more of a what if Question, where I fish (Port Albert or Port Welshpool, Victoria Australia) I will end up catching shark even if I don't want to, I would never take more than we can eat or catch and not eat :)<br /><br />I'd like to be prepared for something 5 foot and over, boat is a 17,5 foot Haines Hunter (V bottom, cuddy cabin)<br /><br />"Take a 12 gauge" Guess that would work :)<br /><br />So if I get one, someone told me to cut it at the back of the neck straight away, don't really want to get to close to them just yet!<br /><br />I think I may just have to cut the line until I get more experience, can’t see my wife helping me remove a hook from a sharks mouth just yet…<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rhys

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Forget the shot gun, to dangeous if it's rough and rolling!!! they use to sell a strike stick which you could put a shot gun shell in and would go off when you hit the tuna with it!!! It's now illegal around our way but some of the fellas still have em!!!<br /><br />If ya went to that web-site i put up and scroll to the bottom it will tell ya all ya want to know!!! ;) :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Speaking of shark fishing!! been watching a shark tournament on ESPN2 which was filmed at Cape Cod Mass.this summer!! The boat "Cookie Too!" out of my home port took 1st place and set a state record with a thresher shark weighing about 543lbs.!! Congrsdulations to them!!!

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

yes sir,i watched that show and decided i dont want to be around the tail of a thresher.that looks dangerous for the novice.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Equis, assuming you will have help, tail rope the critter and drag it backwards for about 10 min. or so at idle or troll speed. It will drown. Much safer from this point on if you are going to bring it aboard. Of course if its a smaller shark, then you can just decapitate it carefully. Even a small Shark will feed quite a few. It is quite a rush however.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

absolutly forget the shoty, you know as well as I do that you don't fish in australia with a shot gun!<br /><br />What sharks do you guys get down there?, Grey nurse? I would be a bit apprehensive to bring any shark onto a boat as small as a 17ft Haines. We don't even try to bring the babies onto my freinds 21ft boat (mostly tiger sharks up here, a hammer heads off the end of morton bay). They are to crowded for that sort of fishing, and yours being a cuddy cab would leave even less room for handling a 5ft shark. Better to cut the line and it go.

18rabbit

Captain

If you catch a big 'something' it’s not obvious you can immediate manage the critter, pull him in close to your boat, cut the line, and continue you day fishing. That goes for sharks, rays, fish, mermaids, whatever. Then for the next couple decades you can tell the story about the ‘one’ that was so big you couldn't get it on the boat. It'll be just you and Spencer Tracy. ;)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 18rabbit!!!you forgot the sequence of releasing a mermaid!!!<br />You examine her closely!!! You lay her golden wet hair back over her shoulders!!! You put your warm lips aganist her cold blue lips!!!! And when she feels the warmth she will gingerly swim away saying good bye with the swing of her tail!!! ;) :cool:

GatorMike

Ensign

Originally posted by Equis:<br /><br />I'd like to be prepared for something 5 foot and over, boat is a 17,5 foot Haines Hunter (V bottom, cuddy cabin)<br /><br />"Take a 12 gauge" Guess that would work :)<br /><br />
Don't be so sure. Assumeing you get a shark you want to keep for some reason never assume it is dead, a shotgun won't always kill them. Back in the 60s before catch and release we used to shark fish a lot. I have shot big sharks in the head multiple times and dragged them by the tail for miles only to have them come back to life on the dock. We used to shoot them behind the gills to save the jaws then drag them backwards (suposed to drown them) but even that wasn't foolproof. I don't shark fish anymore but years ago I caught many bull, lemon and one great white over 10' and I will tell you they are very dangerous even when you think they are dead.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

I carry a 3 foot machete for killing sharks. Sharpened up really nice, stick the blade in the water and slice up and away from the boat at the shark's tail. Do this while having your leaderman maintain the shark alongside the boat with the boat slowly in gear. There is an artery right in front of the tail (in the caudal keel) that will bleed the shark to death within a few seconds. The sharks usually go wild but without the reaction from their tails (due to being hacked halfway through), they can't run or jump. Also, bled fish generally taste better too!

Dexloy

Seaman

Great point rabbit!<br /><br />If you want to land the fish it is you right to do so, safe handling of any large is a must. As for shark 2 large flying gaffs and a tail rope then drag till drownd then tie up to the swim step, NEVER bring a green shark on your boat NEVER! I dont care what size or type, best to cut tthe leader as close as safe and catch him again later!

D

DJ

gaffs and a tail rope then drag till drownd then tie up to the swim step
I've seen more than one "drowned" shark come to life.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh my.... you salt guys are nuts. :D <br /><br /><br />I was going to suggest hold the sharks head underwater & try to drown it. He has to be facing you though for this method to work. <br /><br />Good luck!

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anything bigger than 4', I just cut 'em loose. We get a number of small blacktips around here. The small ones can be decent eating. When we get one on we basically swing it up into the boat (21 footer) and directly into a large ice chest, that we close instantly! Even a small shark can reek some havoc, so be careful.