Big problem

dkhntr

Seaman
I have a 1975-1977 85hp merc. Yesterday I had replaced the impeller. I went fishing today and found out that I now have for gears....<br /><br />Forward, forward, and forward.<br /><br />Reverse is forward. Neutral is forward and forward is forward. <br /><br />What did I do wrong and could a novice like me fix it or should I take it to a shop?<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />Chris

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Big problem

don't think that is a Merc feature. An obvious question (since you just changed the impeller) is whether you hooked up the shift rod when you reattached the lower unit.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think there is one of two things going on here (Assuming that you had all three gears before you installed the impeller).<br /><br />1. The shift shaft didn't connect to the lower unit's shift shaft.<br /><br />2. The shift shaft in the lower unit isn't in the same gear as the top half. To explain further. You should have the control box in forward gear before dropping the lower unit cause once the lower unit dropps the shift shaft in the lower unit usually shifts into gear anyway and keeps turning enough so that when you connect it again, you only have one gear.<br /><br />Solutions. Drop the lower unit again shift the control box into forward gear and then shift the lower unit into neutral and then back into forward gear about the same amount of movement that the upper shift shaft makes (You might need another person to shift the control box so that you can see this). Then install the lower unit again (Making sure that the shift shaft connects to the upper shaft. This should be a non-problem.<br /><br />Let us know how it works out.<br /><br />Craig

alcan

Commander

Well you messed up a little. Not a real big problem. You just didn't get the splines on the shift shaft index correctly. You will have to remove the L\U. Shift the control to forward. Then shift the L\U to forward. Then reassemble. Allways check your work before it leaves the shop. No one is prefect.