Big Mac? $8.5 Million

NYMINUTE

Captain
SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- McDonald's has agreed to pay $8.5 million to settle a lawsuit over artery-clogging trans fats in its cooking oils, the company said Friday.<br /><br />McDonald's said it will donate $7 million to the American Heart Association and spend another $1.5 million to inform the public of its trans fat plans.<br /><br />The settlement is the result of litigation from a San Francisco-area activist who has been seeking to raise public awareness of the health dangers from the trans fatty acids (TFAs) in hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.<br /><br />Trans fats are used in thousands of processed food products, often giving the crunch to french fries, cookies and cereals.<br /><br />They are created in processing vegetable oils and have been found to be as unhealthy as pure cholesterol. The latest official U.S. nutrition recommendations suggest limiting their intake.<br /><br />"McDonald's has reached an agreement to further notify our customers about the status of our ongoing initiative to reduce TFAs in our cooking oil," the company said in a statement.<br /><br />Stephen Joseph, a lawyer who founded the Web site BanTransFats, sued McDonald's over complaints the firm did not properly inform the public that it had encountered delays in plans to lessen the trans fats in its cooking oils.<br /><br />Joseph said his site would receive $7,500, as would another plaintiff in the case.<br /><br />"McDonald's has been successful in reducing TFA levels in our Chicken McNuggets, Crispy Chicken Sandwich and McChicken Sandwich," the fast food firm said. "McDonald's continues to work hard on our initiative to reduce TFAs in our cooking oil."<br /><br />British-born Joseph first gained publicity for his cause by suing Kraft Foods two years ago to highlight the trans fat content of much-beloved Oreo cookies. The company has since moved to remove trans fats from its snack foods.<br /><br />"While there is a difference of opinion regarding whether McDonald's gave effective notice to its customers that the oil was not changed, McDonald's deserves recognition and credit for having achieved a reduction in the trans fat levels in its chicken products and for working diligently over the last two years to test additional cooking oils," Joseph said in a statement.<br /><br />Dunkin' Donuts, a unit of Britain's Allied Domecq Plc, and other companies have in recent months introduced new products free of trans fats.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Big Mac? $8.5 Million

well if ya cant keep your mouth shut and quit swallowing your gonna get fat. period.<br /> is it macdonalds fault people buy 2 supersize everything and topit off with a mcflurry and a pie?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

First it was big government, then the big telephone company, then big oil. Today it is Big Mac. What is personal responsibility? It is now big lawyers.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br />is it macdonalds fault people buy 2 supersize everything and topit off with a mcflurry and a pie?
Lets not forget the Diet coke :confused:

dolluper

Captain

Don,t forget to sue the candy ,chip and chocolate companys for the spare tire TOO

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about this.........<br /><br />Let's find a a way to prove TWC-3 oil is loaded with cholesterol, which caused our two stroke motors to have a stroke. We could sue the makers and use an old heavy outboard, that is clogged with carbon, (outboard cholesterol), as an example and demand compensation for our, beloved family member, "Jonnyrude." :( <br /><br />I'm sure the 9th. "Circus Court of Appeals" in San Franwakko would up comfirm our award, if we could prove it caused "Jonny's" disability. :D <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hold on thar jist a cottin pickin minute!!! I've et lots a big macs, whar's my share of thet 8.5 million?<br /><br />one guy gets $7500 & one other gets $7500, that leaves $6.985 million by my calculations. let me guess: lawyer fees?

bkwarford

Cadet

I agree with most of the comments above but I don't see why this moron felt he deserved the right to sue McD's... Obesity or over-eating is the decision or 'choice' of the customer. When they suggest to super size items I accept or decline depending on how hungry i feel at the time... <br /><br />I'll soon dread the day when my lunch time Big Mac cost $7.00 due to rising prices to compensate the cost of lawsuits like this... <br /><br />Quote - The settlement is the result of litigation from a San Francisco-area activist who has been seeking to raise public awareness of the health dangers from the trans fatty acids (TFAs) in hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Trans fats are used in thousands of processed food products, often giving the crunch to french fries, cookies and cereals. <br /><br />Someone needs to tell this moron to use his own money and rent a billboard or such instead of attacking 1 company for others choices... Any guesses to which company the moron will go after next?