Big Foot

RW632

Recruit
What makes a Mercury outboard a "Bigfoot''?
My wife is looking to purchase a boat and found one with a Bigfoot 60HP and I know nothing about them. Is this a good thing or should I suggest she keep looking?
Thanks
Rich

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Big Foot

the only differance a big foot has from a normal mercury is it has a lower gear ratio and bigger gear to support a bigger prop. They are made for moving big heavy things.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What he said. But in addition, they were specifically designed for work boats and pontoons. A standard leg has 1.83:1 gear ratio which runs a 10 inch prop with about 13 pitch. A Big Foot motor runs the same lower unit that a 75-90 HP engine uses which requires a 13-1/4 x 15, 17, or 19P prop on a planing hull. It would likely be in the 14 x 9 or 11P on a pontoon or work boat. Since we have no idea what boat this engine is on we can't tell you if it is a good match or not.

MNIA

Recruit

Canyou tellme how the Merc 60hp Big Foot would work on a 22 ft Premier pontoon on the Mississippi River? Is it enough?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The Big Foot is ideal for pontoon use and the prop should be a 14 x 9 give or take an inch of pitch. 60 HP is the biggest engine that they call a Big Foot and it should be very adequate for the Mississippi. It will not be a speed demon but it should run about 20 MPH with a light load, less if you are going upstream. As I said, the Big Foot lower unit is the same as that used on the standard 75 and 90 HP three cylinder engines so although they are technically not called Big Foot, they are also excellent choices for pontoon service.