Big bucks and Good Ole competition

QC

Supreme Mariner
This blows my mind. I don't know if it is true, but comes from a reasonably reliable source. Just remember these engines develop over 700 bhp, how they end up within one bhp is amazing.<br /><br />NASCAR Takes Engines to Examine UPDATE 2: Speed Channel's Bob Dilner reported on Speed News NASCAR Edition that NASCAR took ten engines from the teams after the race at Michigan. Three Dodge [#12, #9, #41], Four GM [#20, #15, #31, #48], Three Ford [#6, #17, #38]. The engines will be taken back to the NASCAR R&D Center in Concord, NC to determine how even the power, parts, etc are.(and from ThatsRacin.com)(6-20-2005)<br />UPDATE: NASCAR's confiscation of engines from Michigan's top runners was unexpected, but engine men say they don't expect to get those engines back soon and that NASCAR has told them it won't be releasing any horsepower figures from its secret tests in Charlotte.(Winston Salem Journal)(6-25-2005)<br />UPDATE 2: On the weekend of the Michigan race, NASCAR measured the strength of engines and came away satisfied with the parity of the teams. All three manufacturers were within one horsepower of each other.(Sporting News)(7-12-2005)<br /><br /> http://jayski.com/pages/enginerules.htm

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Big bucks and Good Ole competition

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.<br /><br />I thought winning a race was about the car and the driver, now I guess NASCAR wants only the driver to be the variable.<br /><br />Why dont they just make one car, and but a different maker name on it.<br /><br />Oh wait...they already do that.<br /><br />Ken

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Big bucks and Good Ole competition

KIZ,<br /><br />Actually they are trying to keep budgets down too. Without the aerodynamic packages and limits on testing etc. the Sponsor that puts up the most dough will always win. There is definitely more leeway than IROC for example where every car is set up exactly the same and pre-driven by the same guy to get them the same, so the drivcer is the only factor. I don't see the above as an indication of that.<br /><br />What I actually think is cool about the deal above is that somewhat natural forces combined with engineering smarts have landed these guys at the same bhp when given the same mins and maxs to work with. These guys try all kinds of different stuff, special valve spring compounds, lightweight this and lightweight that, and to make it 500+ miles and get competetive fuel efficiency they end up within 1 bhp. There is huge competition from these engine shops and that competition has landed them that close.