Big Bro aint working so good

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Get a load of this............ <br />Database giant gives access to fake firms <br />ChoicePoint warns more than 30,000 they may be at risk <br />EXCLUSIVE <br />By Bob Sullivan <br />Technology correspondent <br />MSNBC <br />Updated: 6:38 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2005 <br />Criminals posing as legitimate businesses have accessed critical personal data stored by ChoicePoint Inc., a firm that maintains databases of background information on virtually every U.S. citizen, MSNBC.com has learned. <br />The incident involves a wide swath of consumer data, including names, addresses, Social Security numbers, credit reports and other information. ChoicePoint aggregates and sells such personal information to government agencies and private companies.<br />Last week, the company notified between 30,000 and 35,000 consumers in California that their personal data may have been accessed by "unauthorized third parties," according to ChoicePoint spokesman James Lee.<br />California law requires firms to disclose such incidents to the state's consumers when they are discovered. It is the only state with such a requirement but such data thefts are rarely limited to a single geographic area.<br />Lee said law enforcement officials have so far advised the firm that only Californians need to be notified. <br />"The only incident that has been confirmed is in California," he said.<br />ChoicePoint maintains a dossier on virtually every American consumer, according to Daniel J. Solove, George Washington University professor and author of "The Digital Person."

Laddies

Banned
Re: Big Bro aint working so good

Why does this kind of thing not surprize us any more. It's easy for Big Brother to pass laws and make promises to us but not so easy to back up

D

DJ

I don't see this as "big brother". <br /><br />I see this as a couple of crooks looking for an easy buck.

NYMINUTE

Captain

We are on a collision course with disaster in this country. Thanks to our Legal system being manipulated by lawyers. No surprise!

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

The Company should be fine heavily for allowing their database to be penetrated and not have tougher access procedure. Alos the ID theif when caught should be hang by their toes and the book thrown at them.

D

DJ

The Company should be fine heavily
Why? I don't have a bomb shelter in my backyard. In case of a nuclear attack-it's MY FAULT? Why not put everything on the CROOK? Are we, too nice?<br /><br />Da? I don't get that kind of thinking.<br /><br />Geez. What the HE!! is going on in the schools today?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> I don't see this as "big brother". <br />I see this as a couple of crooks looking for an easy buck.
Come on, DJ..get the big picture...big bro gets all the info, then just what would we expect? <br />And .. couple of crooks looking for an easy buck. <br />How about stolen Identity...it would screw your life up for YEARS. <br />And where in the heck did bomb shelters come into play????????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a good reason to ban records keeping/info selling and sharing. I do what I can to stay below the radar. the less they know about me the better I like it.